blood clotts

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
rthom

blood clotts

Post by rthom »

So I had been bitten by a very large dog 12 days ago and ended up with stitches and a large crush injury along with alot of swelling. Tonight the stitches split and the blood clot is coming out quite a bit but not near enough to take the swelling down. Here's the question--after 12 days it is still bleeding. I don't quite know if it's old blood (which i expect) or still just bleeding a little at a time. My leg bruised from top to bottom and halfway around--right black. Just from 1 chomp--no shaking or re-biting etc. Does anyone have blod clot experience like this or any helpful advice--can't see the dr till tuesday. :? Thanks folk and appologies for grafic nature--tried to keep it low key.

debbluebird

Re: blood clotts

Post by debbluebird »

Put pressure on it to stop the bleeding. Change the dressing to keep it clean if it's soaking up the dressing. If you are loosing a lot of blood, then you need to see someone before Tues., especially since the stiches opened up. I don't think that bleeding like that is old blood. If the area is warm to touch, and painful, that is a blood clot. Redness is infection. Do you have a fever? Also a sign of infection. Draining that is yellow, green, or anything besides blood looking is infection. Since it was deep enough for stiches, you really need to go in since they broke open. Good luck. DEB

rthom

Post by rthom »

thanks for your reply. None of the above applies--not hot, not bad color--just almost black--like old blood, if i move it bleeds slowly if not then none, it feels better now that it's open--less pressure and so on. They say you need to stich with-in the first 24hrs otherwise it can't be stitched, thus the problem. The swelling is still about 4" in diameter but is hard like a clt under the skin--and of course it's black too.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad we have some nurses here :-). I wouldn't have a clue!

Just hope it gets better soon, rthom.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

ty both. I don't want to deal with the emerg if it's a waiste of time and (no need to waste money better spent on real emergencies either), also my wed has been raging--not easy to deal with in the hospital. So if ther's nothing they can do I would rather stay home--you understand. Also i have a new client arriving tomrrow so if there's any chance of a few min sleep--I grab it. I just do't know what they can do at this point aside from manage it and wait and then go to see the plastic surgeon. (around here you have to wait for that)

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Good luck

DEB

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I would hate to think what a real emergency is to you rthom, I would be tearing down the emergency door about now :lol: Broken stitches :sick:

rthom

Post by rthom »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the humor. Am currently trying to find a ride to the hospital--still bleeding and powers that be around here say I need to be seen--- :roll:

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

rthom wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the humor. Am currently trying to find a ride to the hospital--still bleeding and powers that be around here say I need to be seen--- :roll:

Hope they fix you up soon and you don't have one of those long waits emergency rooms are infamous for :eh:

rthom

Post by rthom »

thanks--it took from before midnight till almost 7 am the night of the accident--only a few stiches and a CT scan---that's my stress about going--that and the hospitals new pay per hr parking--nearly 30 bucks--probably why it takes so long to be seen. lol

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

rthom wrote:thanks--it took from before midnight till almost 7 am the night of the accident--only a few stiches and a CT scan---that's my stress about going--that and the hospitals new pay per hr parking--nearly 30 bucks--probably why it takes so long to be seen. lol

I thought $6 an hour was bad for our hospital parking...

rthom

Post by rthom »

Back from the hospital, wow our wait times are 10 hrs here==left at 5 yesterday. Got seen by a nurse about 5hrs after arrival, The dr (dug around couldn't help the problem gave me iv antibiotica) about 2 hrs after that then go for an ultrasound at 11 am then back to emerg to wait to see the dr again (have to re-regester all over again and start the wait time all over again, even though I had been sent from the emerg for the test and told to come right back) So about 7 hrs later I got called to the nurses desk to see if I was still there and back to wait some more. A few hrs later I saw the new dr who told me I was right that there really wasn't anything they could do but would try something if I agreed. So because of where it's at I wake up as soon as I fall asleep so I agreed. He was going to try to cut out the mass (the size of a lady's fist) in emerg. So, he did what needed to be done but had to stop after about 5 min because the pain was just getting too much (no pain meds used or freezing etc--weird) So he said e thought it was likely to have doe me a disservice since he couldn't get out as much as he had hoped (don't know why he couldn't finish it) anyway he packed the wound with about 3' of drain and told me to take it out at home tomorrow and let it heal from the inside out. Boy am I confused. Now I have more of everything and an open wound (only about 2 inches long) that is bleeding worse by far than when I went in. Not sure how it being open wet and sorer is going to help with the sleep. So now I'm really tired, and have to find a way to keep it clean without covering it with the dogs able to rub against it. Truth be told I'm just disheartend and not looking forward to the upcoming pain. He was a no meds required kind of dr. ahh By the way thanks to those following and helping me with this thing. PS the rls wasn't helpful through this process.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds awful, rthom! You sound much more calm that I would if it were me!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

not so sure calm is the state I'm in. I was running a fever and bad headcold before I went in (got it first visit at xmas) so I'm past exhausted and sick to competely full body drained. They make you go to the new resturants they set up in the hospital if you need water or something to eat etc. It's very expensive and we don't have anything so I spent most of the time waiting and getting more exhausted. Also as they tell you to get something from the atrium they also tell you you can't leave emerg in case they call for you or you loose your spot. It's all a mess here right now. The dr I saw has told me they have 300 ple a day in there right now. Alot of the nursing staff has just shut down--sever times the supervisor showed up to find 3-4 sitting behind the dest talking doing nothing--weird eh?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds like it's a mess at the hospital. So sorry you're going through all of this.

Managing Your RLS