Anybody know anything about brain leisions and Cancer

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
rthom

Anybody know anything about brain leisions and Cancer

Post by rthom »

I mentioned in a previous post that I was frustrated (politely put) with our healthcare being portrayed as really good etc. because of several problems--one being our current concerns about a nephew who is currently on his deathbed (likely) due to leisions in his brain and now his lungs. 5 Days ago the parents took him into 5 toronto hospitals including sick kids--4 out of the 5 told them to give him asprin and take him home (including sick kids). These are the best in the province. He had been under a dr's care for new unusual behavoir--always healthy before etc...... So now he is at the point that he does not know how many brothers and sisters he has, can't walk, eat, etc.... All in those 5 days. White count through the roof and no infections, fevers etc.

Any thoughts?

I would like to hear any similar probs etc. otherwise it looks like a few days----not fair cannot happen to him--he is a life loverand kind soul. This family has had too many tradgeties in the last 2 yrs.

Hope--real hope has to be somewhere.

ViewsAskew

Re: Anybody know anything about brain leisions and Cancer

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't know a thing to help. How maddening that must be. I do hope they find something out, and soon. My heart goes out to all of you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Maybe they are politely telling them that there is nothing they can do. I am sorry this is happening to your nephew, I know it must be hard on you. I also hope that help comes to him soon.

rthom

Post by rthom »

The hopitals did not know about the leisions--they only knew about his headaches, weakness and depression and forgetfullness etc..... They just thought nothing of it and did not look for anything. Good thing they kept going to other hospitals--but still, it's too late now as they are trying to not say now.

rthom

Post by rthom »

About 2 yrs ago they sent our son home from emerg with a fever of 103 and really sick headachy etc... So the next day his fever was 105 and we went to another dr and he was hospitalized--(they were mad at us for letting the fever get so high--go figure) and he had an infection on his brain--they did not know if he was going to survive or not. He did, but the system really failed him and nearly killed him in the process---it's nuts that they seem to assume so wrong around here.
A siilsr thing happened to my sister in law--with cancer and once we caught their error in the hospital--she was ok but then a couple of weeks later (in the hospital) they erred again we wern't there and it killed her. If she were at home she would have survived longer--it's nuts here.

That study that showed us having a 10% higher death rate here at the hospital is probably higher and so unnecessary.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

It is not just Canada. The whole world is going the same way, even the USA. The hospitals are already starting to go downhill in America, imo. I was reading how bird flu had infected a bunch of people in China recently, I'm afraid after the world has a pandemic from inept health care that they might finally get it.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm so sorry for your situation and your nephew. Always ask questions. In other words question everything. Stand firm. You have to be very proactive. Also, stay with the person in the hospital.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:Also, stay with the person in the hospital.

That has been my experience too. They treated my mother-in-law and mother bad in the hospital when they were alone, not anything terrible, but they just ignored them which was bad enough. The last time I was in hospital I was totally out of it after surgery, don't even remember much of it, but they thought I was just being mean or something, it was a good thing my wife was there as she told me afterward that she had to tell them I wasn't actually conscious. I guess I was doing a lot of groaning and demanding a doctor and stuff like that, don't remember any of it, :lol: but it is good to have someone there for support.

rthom

Post by rthom »

We always have someone there day and night--learned that the hard way. I nearly died--(choked to death on a mucus plug mixed with scar tissue) after a lung surgery, and one night the nurses, held back my pain medication even though I had tubes in my back and chest and lots of staples and stitches--right from my spine to the center of my chest from the surgery. This was because a friend of mine (who they did not know was a healcare provider himself) was visiting, she was making fun of me refering to me as a girl (I am not). He took her outside and talked to her--she came back in and appolgised. He told her she had to or what I don't know. I was on a lot of pain meds as I had just been moved from the ICU a few hurs earlier--so I could not stand up for myself. I had to go that night without my pain meds till the next shift came on. The tubes rubbing on my ribs inside were very painful.

Anyway, A few days later when the tubes were removed it dislodged the stuff inside and a ball of it migrated evntually up my windpipe. I had never used my call bell but even though I hadn't when I did to get them to help (I could not breath and was turning blue), no response. My wife started to hollar to them over and over that I couldn't breathe, they said OK I'll be there soon. I was by then trying to dig down my throat with my hands--not a workable thing, but I had started to panic. Eventually as I was pasing out the nurse wandered in yeld at me (to settle down) and left the room. She did not return at all. So the coughing that I had been doing finally dislodged it and I survived with a wicked headache and some ear ringing and messed up vision (likely the headache). They are mean spirited here sometimes.

To this day I'd do most anything to avoid the hospital. Mybe that is their plan? Patients are a pain and will do more for themselves if the hospitals are not nice place to be?

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I have heard enough to know from this story, plus another you have mentioned, that I don't want to go to any hospitals in Canada. :shock:

rthom

Post by rthom »

I try very hard to not blather on or make people uncomfortable with going to the hospitals because I know some are not good and others are better. So often times I found myself wanting to make a comment or post question, but in order to not be negative or cause stress to others needing to go I stay silent. But really sometimes I feel gagged by that concept--trying to not hurt others by my choice. It ends up with me editing my post and others who answer not "getting it" because they have half the info. I really want my posts here to be helpful not harmful to the board but that is a really hard thing to figure out sometimes. People trying to be helpful end up inevitably answering with the olbvious ideas and it's a waste of their time, which is not kind to them either. And then there are times like now, that I just have no energy left to edit and carry this stuff on my own. The WED does like you said earlier make things so much harder to cope with, small things are large and hard or large things seem insurmountable.
Thanks for your comments bty as any conversation sometimes is better than none.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

rthom, I think you do just fine. We all have our moments. Maybe you're being too hard on yourself. I welcome your comments.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

rthom, be assured that your postings are always welcome and useful. There are times when symptoms and lack of sleep let the negative feelings sweep over us and that's when I know that there is always someone here who will know what's it's like.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

They did another spinal tap today (3rd) and his fluid is very low so now there is a hole where it has been leaking out--it was not leaking the other day (according to the dr). Makes you wonder why now.
His white count that was high before is a lot higher now and the Dr's have no clue. It is being really aggressive. Whatever it is.
He was saying today that he doesn't want to die. How do you help him with that--he's not stupid. There are things you can say or not say as the case may be--but really what good is it to him at this point. He's old enough to understand everything that is happening.
They still have on a gereatric ward --how much more in-censitive can they be? He is being mentally tortured--even the staff is pissed about it--but cut-backs.
All his room mates are old and dying. (his grandpa has made billions--so mony is not the problem--he has coverage for a room to himself). It's just the hospital's choice. No-one has done or said anything to tick off the staff etc. Just the new rules. People are bodies--like meat--really? There is a series about the slaughter of cattle for meat and the problem that has everyone up in arms is that the live and dead are put together and the live likely know what is going on--so it is abusive----I believe it is wrong---but I also believe the same in this case.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

rthom wrote:I try very hard to not blather on or make people uncomfortable with going to the hospitals because I know some are not good and others are better. So often times I found myself wanting to make a comment or post question, but in order to not be negative or cause stress to others needing to go I stay silent. But really sometimes I feel gagged by that concept--trying to not hurt others by my choice. It ends up with me editing my post and others who answer not "getting it" because they have half the info. I really want my posts here to be helpful not harmful to the board but that is a really hard thing to figure out sometimes. People trying to be helpful end up inevitably answering with the olbvious ideas and it's a waste of their time, which is not kind to them either. And then there are times like now, that I just have no energy left to edit and carry this stuff on my own. The WED does like you said earlier make things so much harder to cope with, small things are large and hard or large things seem insurmountable.
Thanks for your comments bty as any conversation sometimes is better than none.

I'm not sure how you discerned from my comments the above statement. Did you? The last sentence here makes me feel like you punched me in the gut, "any conversation sometimes is better than none", holy sh** man, I just don't see why you wrote. Nothing I said inferred anything negative to what you wrote. I always enjoy reading what you have to say and like your comments. NOTHING I wrote to you should be construed as negative.