Having Hip Surgery

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Re: Having Hip Surgery

Post by debbluebird »

Went to the doctor today. Have scheduled the left hip for a total replacement too, on Nov. 22. I am also on the cancellation list, so I might get it done earlier. I am feeling good. I was able to walk a mile, but this week, I cut back to 1/2 mile because of the left hip. Looking forward to getting it done.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Good news for you, and the appointment date is not so far away. :D
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is great! Really good that you were up to walking a mile.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

:clap:
debbluebird wrote:Went to the doctor today. Have scheduled the left hip for a total replacement too, on Nov. 22. I am also on the cancellation list, so I might get it done earlier. I am feeling good. I was able to walk a mile, but this week, I cut back to 1/2 mile because of the left hip. Looking forward to getting it done.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Awesome! Amazing what can be accomplished in 21st century...new hips.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Doctors office called. They moved up the date for the second total hip surgery to Nov. 5th at 6 am. I am very relieved. It's starting to wake me up in the mornings. That means we will have to get up by 2 am and leave by 3 am in order to get there. It's a two hour drive. Since we live in the mountains, you never know about the snow. Thanks everyone for your support. It will also mean that my hip precautions will be done my the first of Feb. YEAH !!! :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

YAY! That is great news.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Excellent news :D :lol: :D
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

:thumbup: :wave: :clap: You'll be doing the slow-mo action scenes like in the 6 Million Dollar Man (I think there was also a 6 Million Dollar Woman after a while) because you will go by so fast they will have to have some heavy duty equipment just to film you! Although being pain free and walking around the house would work too :)

debbluebird wrote:Doctors office called. They moved up the date for the second total hip surgery to Nov. 5th at 6 am. I am very relieved. It's starting to wake me up in the mornings. That means we will have to get up by 2 am and leave by 3 am in order to get there. It's a two hour drive. Since we live in the mountains, you never know about the snow. Thanks everyone for your support. It will also mean that my hip precautions will be done my the first of Feb. YEAH !!! :D

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

:D :D :D Thanks

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird,

We have something else in common :lol: I am having surgery next Thursday. I went in and saw the neurosurgeon today and he wanted me to have it done. The quicker the better. It could take as long as 8 months to get my hand back to normal he said but if I wait longer it probably will get worse and chances of having it numb for good increases.

My left two fingers on left hand are numb and I have lost strength in the whole hand. Yesterday I clipped my fingernails with a fingernail clipper and it took all my strength to push the clipper together with index finger and thumb (which is ridiculous). He will make about a 3 inch incision on the elbow to get the nerve to be unpinched. Then they glue it together rather than use stitches as they used to do. Sounds a little strange to me but he is suppose to be a good doctor.

But then Monday I go in to see the GI (gastrointestinal) doctor to see about my Ileus (blocked lower intestine) so depending on what they decide to do I may have to have surgery on my gut also and then they would also have to decide which surgery has priority. It never rains but it pours the saying goes :roll: If you would have told me 14 years ago that all these health problems would be happening to me I would have laughed out loud at the absurdity of the possibility. I was very healthy then, alas how the winds blow this way or that.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Glad you are getting your hand fixed as well as your gut. Last night the hip that I'm to have surgery on was really bad. It's doing just like the other side. All of a sudden it's getting worse. I was back to using the elec cart at the store yesterday. No more walking until after the surgery. I am counting the days.
Good luck on your surgeries. I will be praying.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:Last night the hip that I'm to have surgery on was really bad. It's doing just like the other side. All of a sudden it's getting worse. I was back to using the elec cart at the store yesterday. No more walking until after the surgery. I am counting the days.

Sounds like you are getting the surgery just when you need it with the trouble you are having with your hip, funny how things like that seem to happen. We watched an interesting movie this evening. I had never heard of it, released in 2006, The Fountain. Sci-fi flick with romance, trying to find cure for death which is different. That would be an interesting announcement, Cure for death found, news at 11. My luck it would require eating cilantro and arugula together (two of my least favorite foods).

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Sounds interesting. I will have to look for it. I love science fiction.
We had snow yesterday and last night. It's supposed to start snowing this evening. We were going to leave around 2 am or 3 am, but now may leave by 5 or 6 in the evening today. We have to get through the canyon. Once we get to the other side it should be ok. There isn't supposed to be much on that side of the mountain. That side can get blizzards, shouldn't tonight.
Starting to get nervous. I hope today goes fast. I will have computer access in the hospital. It's really cool. They have little tablets that access the TV too.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We are with you in spirit (( )))
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote: I will have computer access in the hospital. It's really cool. They have little tablets that access the TV too.

How very cool!

Managing Your RLS