No more food!

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

No more food!

Post by ViewsAskew »

My family is eclectic - there are Catholics, Protestants, Jews, atheists, and a budding Buddhist or two. When it comes to the holidays, there isn't much agreement about them. Some want a Christmas family gathering ONLY on Christmas; others want a generic holiday gathering.

What we all have in common, however, is that we all want to gather....and to eat. The more, the better. Food, that is.

From fried doughnuts and latkes earlier in the month to toffee, kugelis, pasta, and beef tenderloin over the last three days, I am stuffed. So stuffed I think I may explode. My contribution to the latest go-round was to provide Christmas cookies to the Italian Catholic gathering. I made baci di dama, torrone morbido tuttifrutti, French macarons (don't tell them I didn't make the Italian ones....), Italian lemon cookies, Italian fig bars, chocolate crackles cookies (also called pixies, fudgies, crinkles, snowcaps, and other names), pecan tassies, Caramel Shorties (my own cookies with a chocolate shortbread crust, homemade caramel, coconut, and drizzled 60% chocolate), rum balls, and one other whose name escapes me at the moment. I made them all in the last 5 days so they would be fresh. I'd never made a few of them before and had to figure out how to make them all gluten-free. That meant a LOT of testing, trying, tasting - so much so, that if I don't eat a cookie or piece or candy again for awhile, that's perfectly OK with me! I think I finally know what people mean when they say they worked in a candy store and never eat it anymore. If I had to bake or candy-make at this level all the time, I seriously doubt I'd eat much of it.

Because most of our family members have their own children and close families, we don't have any Christmas day events. So, today I slept in, did NO cooking or baking, and had leftovers from Dinner Number 1, that was held on Sunday. Tomorrow will be leftovers from Dinner # 2, and the next day, leftovers from Dinner #3. I'm grateful for 3 days of microwave meals. I might actually want to cook again by then. I don't think I'll want to bake, however.

I did, wisely if I may say so, put all of the leftover cookies in the freezer instead of tossing them, which I desperately wanted to do last night. In a week or so, I imagine I'll want to find out how those baci di dama turned out (I haven't tasted one yet), or see how the new flour mix I created for this round of baking is holding up to time and freezing - something important in GF baking. Until then, I'm happy to ignore them.

Hope that whoever celebrates, however you celebrate, had a lovely time. To me, no matter you focus, the winter holidays should be about peace, love, and hope.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Re: No more food!

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:To me, no matter you focus, the winter holidays should be about peace, love, and hope.

My wife has threatened to NEVER make cookies or candy, or even a turkey again for the holidays for the last 38 years after she has finished doing all the work - thankfully for all the people she lovingly makes these goodies for (including me) she has a change of heart by the time the holidays come round again as you state so nicely above :) it is about peace, love, and hope.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

EeFall wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:To me, no matter you focus, the winter holidays should be about peace, love, and hope.

My wife has threatened to NEVER make cookies or candy, or even a turkey again for the holidays for the last 38 years after she has finished doing all the work - thankfully for all the people she lovingly makes these goodies for (including me) she has a change of heart by the time the holidays come round again as you state so nicely above :) it is about peace, love, and hope.

And joy. I forgot that one - but seems we need a lot more of that. I want my Grinchy-sized heart to grow 5 sizes, too :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann, I am very impressed !!

Here in UK we also celebrate December 26th. It is Boxing Day, also it is St. Stephen's Day. Today 6 of us went to the pantomime this afternoon and then buffet table in our home. Two other family members arrived. They left minutes ago. Hubby has just said..... phew.. just us... peace.
I am feeling like an exploded mattress. I have a half turkey untouched, loads of dressing, many different breads are now in the freezer. I don't like the texture of frozen cooked turkey/chicken and will need to be inventive to get it used up. Tonight we handed out portions of cheesecake (Baileys) topped with cream like there was no tomorrow.

I am blessed to have had a wonderful holiday time.
Thank you Ann and Eefall...... peace love joy and hope... well said.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation