Hey, I know you!

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Sojourner

Hey, I know you!

Post by Sojourner »

I watch too much television, way too much television. DVR tons of things for all that great, late night entertainment. Unfortunately, I do enjoy watching some of, ok most of, the "judge" programs i.e. Judge Judy etc. Not particularly good entertainment but it does fill in the time and there's lots of 'em. I keep thinking that one of these days I'm going to be watching an episode (of anything) and think, "Hey, I know that person." But, so far never have. Anyone ever turn on the television and unexpectedly see someone they know?
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Polar Bear

Re: Hey, I know you!

Post by Polar Bear »

Great to hear from you Sojourner - Yes I saw someone on tv.
When still at college I went out on a few dates with X who was good fun, After a few dates it was clear we were having good fun but that it was only ever going to be friendship. He did DJ in his spare time and I got to go to a few biggish events that I wouldn't normally have attended, as his girl 'friend' ??

Many years later I saw X as a guest on a chat show on TV, he had married and had a daughter, and divorced.
X was on the chat show as 'he/she' and was awaiting surgery and was promoting her newly published biography.

I bought the book and it was heartbreaking when he/she talked of those teenage years that we had all been a part of, and how he had felt so different from everyone else.
He was always fun and in reality must been living his own private hell = the tears of the clown.

I hope X is now happy wherever she may be.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

lol polar bear
that one's hard to top!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My room mate in college became a broadcast journalist. She is the 6 PM anchor for a major US market. When I go to that city, I'm always surprised to see buses with her image on it or billboards, lol.

I am another friend - a bit younger and the best friend of my best friend's brother (so an antagonistic relationship in grade school, but good relationship in college) who was in sitcoms and did comedy sports. It was always fun to watch for him. He eventually married the daughter of a VERY famous man in Hollywood, so I never see him now, lol.

I did a bit of theatre in my 30s - just very small local productions. One of the women in a theatre group I was in went on to be a star in one of the Star Trek series!

But, I've never seen anyone, as far as I know, that I didn't already know was into acting or TV in some way. And, none of the people I know, except my roommate, are really famous. Even the guy who married into Hollywood royalty isn't known very well and hasn't acted for years.

As for watching TV....yikes. In my teens and twenties, my friends called me a Russian spy - I had NO idea of the shows, stars, etc. I didn't see a Disney movie until I was in college....

But, today????? The list of shows I watch or have watched is much much much too long. I watch shows from the US, Canada, the UK, France....it's really crazy. And movies - I watch those from just about every country - if I can find them, that is. And my Netflix list? It's so long I'll likely never finish it.

I'm bound to see someone else I know, eventually - I certainly watch enough shows for it to happen!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

When I first started college, there were two other new freshman in my department. One of them eventually became my wife and we were good friends with the other guy and eventually his wife for the next four years. At graduation we went our separate ways and lost track of each other.

Fast forward more than twenty years and one evening I am sitting with my back to the television as it plays the national news. All of a sudden I hear a voice that I recognize. I spun around to see the identification text disappear before I could read it. I called to my wife and we agreed that the voice was right and that could be him if you added twenty years. I ended up doing a bit of digging and determined that it was him. His career continued to climb so that we ended up seeing him testifying before Congress representing the oil industry on a number of occasions. There was also one time when we got to sort of work together even though our companies were at odds at the time.

We both retired a few years ago and have had two chances to catch up since then. We laughed over how our paths started off in completely different directions but we both ended up in similar sorts of positions.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Sojourner wrote:I watch too much television, way too much television. DVR tons of things for all that great, late night entertainment. Unfortunately, I do enjoy watching some of, ok most of, the "judge" programs i.e. Judge Judy etc. Not particularly good entertainment but it does fill in the time and there's lots of 'em. I keep thinking that one of these days I'm going to be watching an episode (of anything) and think, "Hey, I know that person." But, so far never have. Anyone ever turn on the television and unexpectedly see someone they know?

One of my granddaughters was on the local nightly news a few months ago and our daughter-in-law excitedly texted us that she was going to be on the news in a few minutes. They were interviewing the owners of a new store concept that caters to children's arts and craft type projects and she was there that day and they showed her busy making something. I was so excited I recorded it on TV and then figured out how to put it on my smartphone as a video :lol:

When I was a little kid I saw Buster Keaton in person. He was visiting our grade school, I think it was on a weekend and he was handing out balloons and trinkets. He actually spent some time talking to me as one would talk to an adult, I liked that. It was like he knew me. Within a few days my parents let me watch an old movie which he starred in. I knew he was famous before because my older brother told me so, but at the time I didn't know why other than he looked like no one I had ever seen before. I suppose everyone has their own style, but his face and deadpan style was really unique to me.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Those are great stories but got to tell you I wish there was a little more "name-dropping" involved. But, obviously a good reason as to why not. Still, you guys know lots of neat people. While I do not know anyone remotely famous, but several who are infamous, I did, once upon a time, sit next to Chris Evert and Red Skeleton (restaurants). Did get Red's autograph on a menu. We can all probably date ourselves by whether or not we know who those two are.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

AussieRodney

Post by AussieRodney »

My late wife was the Director of a Welfare Agency, and therefore an advocate for the underprivileged here in Canberra (Australia) in her last job. One work morning, we were slumming it in bed with our morning coffee & she received a phone call asking whether she could be at the TV studio in Parliament House within about 30 minutes. Since it was just down the road, she agreed & we scrambled! As they set her up in the studio, I was relegated to the production area and overheard the technician wondering how she would perform on camera. Knowing that she she had been interviewed numerous times before, I quietly assured him that she would be fine.

As it happened, the person with whom she was to debate the subject was delayed by traffic, so she had the session all to herself. I noticed that she stumbled on her words a few times (giving the technician cause for concern) before she got into her rhythm, & then she was away. She graciously acknowledged her "opposition's" position & then went on to explain in considerable detail, not only her point of view, but managed to introduce new material that the producers of the program had not thought about. Al this on National Prime Time Morning TV! Talk about your 10 minutes of fame!

The phone calls from friends and colleagues started within a few minutes and continued all day.
Life is not a dress rehearsal, it's the real thing.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Did you tape the show?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

She graciously acknowledged her "opposition's" position & then went on to explain in considerable detail, not only her point of view, but managed to introduce new material that the producers of the program had not thought about. Al this on National Prime Time Morning TV! Talk about your 10 minutes of fame!
That must have been so gratifying to watch as it took place!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.