Back spasms

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Back spasms

Post by ViewsAskew »

So far I've had no additional relief from the WED symptoms - but I've had no breakthrough and was routinely having that, so that's good. But, I still would like for more. So my mood has been a bit tentative.

Yesterday I awoke and my shoulders and neck hurt - so what, I thought, they always hurt when I get up. It's those dratted myofascial trigger points I get. But, as the day went on, they became much worse. By the end of the day, they were the worst they've ever been. I can't move without disabling pain. It aches constantly - there are several areas on my neck, shoulder, and mid back area that literally hurt if I lightly run my fingers over them. But the worst is when I sit, bend over, try to lie down....then the worst area goes into a super spasm. It's like an 8 or 9 on a 10 point scale. It lasts from a second or two to a couple of minutes.

I didn't get much sleep as there is just about no position I can sleep in without making the muscles spasm. I've used all the tools I have to try to release the trigger point, but it hasn't done anything.

I do not like this! Fortunately, sitting at the computer is about the least painful position - given I don't move, of course....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Re: Back spasms

Post by debbluebird »

I'm sorry you are having this difficulty. The only time I had back spasms was when my back went out. (so to speak) I think that's different from what you have. I went to a chiropractor and got better. I wish there was a solution for you.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

wheeesh... I hope tonight is better. Its the last think you need, while you are 'waiting' to see what each day is going to bring following your infusion.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've been using a hand massage thingee with a heating element and using a heating pad - not sure it makes it better, but it makes me feel better. A few hours ago when I was using the massage thingee, I found a spot that I think may be the culprit and causing quite a bit of referred pain. It was sending pain radiating down my arm, up my neck, into my head, to my other shoulder. I worked on it earlier, but earlier every spot felt just as bad as the next. This time, this one stuck out. I using the vibration to try and release the knot in the muscle. It hurt tremendously, but sort of in a good way.

Now I feel a bit better. I also took a double dose of an antiimflammatory, so not sure it's the work I did, but I think it is. I can move my nect a bit now - I couldn't make my head/neck at ALL before without intense pain. I still get pain when I move my shoulders or other parts, but this is MUCH better.

If I can find the right one (or ones), I can usually get them to start to release in a few hours and within 24 hours I'm just sort of sore, but not in that pain. I'm off to go to bed and see what happens. I'll still sleep sitting up just in case. And, I think I am going to make an appointment with a doctor or massage therapist who specializes in myofascial pain. I've had these for 20 years and in the last couple years, they've increased tremendously. It's time to figure out how to stop them.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

When I worked with Physical therapists, they used this technique. Have someone put their thumb on the spot of pain, putting pressure and holding it for several seconds to minutes. Not sure how long now. I guess until the pain released. Then when they stopped the pain seemed to be gone. I've done this to my husband too and it's worked. I've had it done to me too. Don't know if this is the same kind of muscle pain that you have.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:When I worked with Physical therapists, they used this technique. Have someone put their thumb on the spot of pain, putting pressure and holding it for several seconds to minutes. Not sure how long now. I guess until the pain released. Then when they stopped the pain seemed to be gone. I've done this to my husband too and it's worked. I've had it done to me too. Don't know if this is the same kind of muscle pain that you have.

Yeah - that's what we do here (both my husband and I have them). I just can't get to these and my husband is terrible about finding them - he can't feel the knot as I can on him. And, sometimes the knot is too deep or small to find.

They typically say to hold for 30 second to a minute. Some say to stroke it gently, like thrumming a guitar. And, it really does work pretty well when you can reach them - such as the ones in my neck or back of head.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I was looking into a TENS unit tonight. I think my BIL may have one for neuropathy. I'm going to ask him if I can try it first - while some are very inexpensive, I have a feeling that a $30 USD unit isn't likely to work as well as one used my medical facilities and I likely am going to have to pay quite a bit more. I'd like to know that it helps before I buy it. There is prelimiary research that suggests a TENS may help trigger points, but it's not enough for me to spend hundreds of dollars.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

sheeeeesh.... I have a Tens in my wardrobe...... It only cost about $40 and might be worth a try ....... but would cost nearly that to post it !!
I hope you find a Tens to borrow to see if it helps.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My BIL has tried multiple units, so I thought he'd have an extra - but he sent them back, so only has one. It was only $35 USD and he says it works really well for his neuropathic pain. I figured what the heck - so I bought one today online. I won't be here for a few days though.

I made an emergency appt with my PCP - I see him tomorrow. It's just not stopping and it's more painful that it's ever been. I mean, I've had these for many years - likely back to high school. And they've caused problems, but not like this.

After I see him, I may make an appointment with a different doctor - she's not on my insurance list, so I have to pay more to see her - but she supposedly treats trigger points with either injections or dry needling. There are several ways to treat them - massage, needling, injections, spray/stretching, and TENS. I'll have the TENS and the doc can do a few. Between us, hopefully I can get these under control. And, if not, I can see a massage therapist who specializes in massage for them. Something MUST work!

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It does sound dreadfully painful and difficult to shift. Perhaps your TENS delivery will be really quick and it will arrive tomorrow rather than after the weekend.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I went to the PCP today. As expected, he said it was a muscle spasm and prescribed a muscle relaxer. I've heard the muscle relaxers are not that effective for trigger points, but I wasn't up to educating him - I've done it enough about WED, lol. So, he's still unaware of trigger points.

I'll fill the Flexeril tonight and see what happens - if I could just sleep, I'd manage OK. As with most of us, I HATE things that interfere with sleep! I've been there, done that, and am SO over it!!!!!! The TENS isn't here today - tomorrow would be the earliest I could hope for, I think. If I get it on Monday and it doesn't help or if I do not get it on Monday, I'll likely make an appointment with the doctor that isn't in my insurance plan and pay for it out of pocket. If the TENS does work, I'm not sure what I'll do.

I was thinking about this and realized I had the first trigger point issue when I was a server/waiter during high school or college - I remember the pain and how much it hurt. Over the years, I had more and more incidents and it took 20 years before I figured out what this was all about. In the last ten years, since I found a name for it, the problem has escalated so that I have active pain every day, albeit in different places. What I thought might be sciatica? A trigger point in my hip/buttock. What I thought were tension headaches? About 10-15 active trigger points, all going off at the same time. The frozen shoulder that prevented me from moving my arm without extreme pain? Yup - trigger points.

I have to wonder why it's escalating, so even if the TENS solves this one, it seems prudent to see if doctor can identify the cause. Unfortunately, they are linked to crappy sleep (imagine that), so not sure what we can do about that. But, they're also linked to accidents, poor posture, excessive sitting at a desk - all things that can be dealt with. They actually cause the muscle to become weaker over time and any exercise of them makes them worse. So, I think I really ought to see this doctor. Maybe she can resolve them and I can be pain free for the first time in years.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It sounds like a big 'ask' of a TENS machine.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I really just want it to handle the pain I'm experiencing right now!

I took the first muscle relaxer about an hour ago. I'm surprised I can type! It's not something I want to have to take, at all. I can't imagine how people take these and get anything done at all - I'm soooooo relaxed that nothing is going to get done here.

The pain is still there, but it is reduced. If these help me sleep, that's enough. If the TENS can help me get through the day, I'll have a winning match.

Managing Your RLS