Blood Pressure Issues

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Blood Pressure Issues

Post by debbluebird »

It seems that, lately, my blood pressure has been having spikes. Like 195/ 100. Finally saw a Cardiologist last week. He changed my pill. Will also have a stress test and echo next week. Trouble is, the dose is not right yet. It's been running about 175/90. So I feel like crap. He already increased it a couple of days ago. Before that, it was still 195/100. I have cut out all salt. Before, I already cut it way down. So that's about it.

ViewsAskew

Re: Blood Pressure Issues

Post by ViewsAskew »

Is it normal the rest of the time? It seems to me that I remember research saying that our BP spikes at night when we have symptoms. I wonder if that is affecting you at other times, too.

I've read that salt isn't as important as they used to think. Or rather that it helps some people but has no affect on others. But, I am not sure how valid that is.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I didn't know that it might affect out WED/PLM. My legs are ok, and have been for a long time. Once in awhile I have more symptoms at night. Yesterday I was on my feet for about 4 hours. I was awake a lot last night, and also had more WED/PLM than usual. Of course BP is still up. It's been up more everyday since he changed my pill. Before that it was just once in awhile, but more, more often.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

On the issue of salt, that is something I have researched because I have low BP and tend to run low on sodium at times. What they now say is that some individuals are sensitive and sodium will increase their BP. For most of the rest to us, it has little effect. But the dietary guides all still preach low sodium since they don't know if you are one of the sensitive ones or not.

There are even a few like me who need extra sodium, be we are the smaller minority, so they sort of ignore us.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Rustsmith wrote:On the issue of salt, that is something I have researched because I have low BP and tend to run low on sodium at times. What they now say is that some individuals are sensitive and sodium will increase their BP. For most of the rest to us, it has little effect. But the dietary guides all still preach low sodium since they don't know if you are one of the sensitive ones or not.

There are even a few like me who need extra sodium, be we are the smaller minority, so they sort of ignore us.

I've read the same thing about the salt - my hubby's family doesn't believe me, lol, so I've just stopped saying it.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Fluid, sodium, potassium, heart, kidneys, are all related. Some people have to restrict their fluid, because of low sodium. The body is an interesting mixture.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I saw the Cardiologist again today. First, I had an echo, and then a nuclear stress test. He said my heart is totally normal. Arteries are clear. Very good news. We just have to get my blood pressure under control. He increased my med. I have to loose weight and exercise more. I have sloughed off lately. I have gained 10 pounds since starting that thyroid med a few months ago and I think that's why my blood pressure is up. So I have to do this. Otherwise I will get heart damage. I have gotten through all of my other issues. I can do this too. I will see him in another month. I want 10 pounds off by then.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good news about the heart and arteries!

Weight is a tricky one. I read a quote the other day....something like of course diets do not work - it wouldn't be a billion dollar industry if they did.

But, we all have to come up with a way to lose weight! It's just not easy, is it.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I've started taking the increased blood pressure med, but still feel awful. I believe it all comes down to my weight. What a pain.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Last night I woke up during the night, feeling like I had been in a very deep sleep. My respirations were low and I asked my husband to take my pulse. It's been running 75 to 80 during the day. (normal is 60 to 80) Last night it was 54. Respirations were 8. (normal is usually 10 to 20) By the time he took my pulse I was waking up, so I think it was higher than when I was asleep. Tonight I'm going to put on the pulse oximeter and see what it is when I am in a deep sleep. He also took my blood pressure, it was high 184/86. It has been running 175/70. I think when my pulse is low, the B/P goes up to compensate. I also know that my taking methadone it contributes to a low pulse. Any opioid does. I see the doctor again next week.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Let us know what he says.

My sitting respiration is usually between 6 and 10. I used to do a lot of tai chi, mediation, and breathing exercises -breathing in slowly, for example, to the count of 10 or 12, etc. So, I tend to attribute the slower respiration to learning how to control my breath...but I haven't done such work in a long time, and it's likely really the opioids.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

6 breaths per minute is very low. I'm sure it's the opioids. I see Doc Dec. 17.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

My blood pressure went down, without medication, when I started using kratom and L-theanine. I think it's mostly because of the L-theanine, which is an ingredient of green tea, but also available as pills. You can google "L-theanine" and blood pressure to see the research.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thanks for the information.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I finally realized that the blood pressure issues started after starting the thyroid medication. I am so sensitive to meds. I saw cardiologist again & we aren't changing the dose. I decided to stop the thyroid med. It's the lowest dose. It will take about a month to get it out of my system. I am stick of feeling awful with high blood pressure. I am going to look into natural supplements for the thyroid. It will be interesting to see when the pressure comes down. I will keep an eye on pressure, may have to reduce that med now.
It is interesting to me that my doctor never considers what the drugs do to me. I'm thinking of changing doctors, from a family practice to an internist. It took me two years of talking her into me seeing the neurologist. She doesn't hear me.