A BIT OF FUN

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

A BIT OF FUN

Post by Polar Bear »

I thought it might be nice to have a thread that was just a chat.

Today I was vacuuming with my Dyson Animal cordless vacuum cleaner and thinking what a wonderful piece of kit it is.
So lightweight which makes things so much easier especially for anyone with chronic pain.

Now..... I don't usually get awfully excited about a vacuum cleaner or household equipment in general, but this has really changed my attitude to 'doing the floors'.
I love it, and thought to myself that this has to be the best item we've bought in the last few years.

It might be nice to hear from others:
what has been the best thing you've bought,
or received as a gift,
or something you've done to your home and/surroundings that brings you real pleasure.
Anything at all that makes you think to yourself ..... I am soooo glad to have this/have done this.
It could be really practical, a fun thing......
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Re: A BIT OF FUN

Post by debbluebird »

I have two of them. One small, one large. I love them. We have a tiny house, 600 sq ft. Very easy to keep clean. I wouldn't be able to clean a larger home. I really do love this little house.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I love to cook, bake, make candy - all things kitchen! I make my own bread, yogurt, pickles, sausage. And I grow many of my own veggies.

I have two tools that I know are not practical for many people - and some would say they are frivolous. But if you like spending time creating in the kitchen, to me they are essential.

First is a GOOD scale. I have the My Weigh scale that does Baker's Math. I LOVE it and I use it everyday.

The second - and another tool I use daily - is a good, fast, accurate thermometer. I use it when baking bread, when making yogurt, and much more. My old one died a few weeks ago. I really wanted a Thermopen - but I couldn't justify the price, so I purchased the Thermowand. It's the fastest thermometer I've ever had. Each time I use it, I'm so pleased to have it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

deb, you can just hear how happy you are in your home.

Views, I so admire your kitchen abilities and in particular your enthusiasm. You put me to shame. Definitely not frivoluos items.
Someone once said (I can't remember who it was) that anything we have should either be useful or beautiful.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just remembered a gift that my son gave me one Christmas about 15 years ago.
It will sound strange to say that I'm glad there has never been a need to use it - it was a small fire extinguisher and sits in the corner of the kitchen workbench.
Betty

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

This IS a bit of fun. Enjoying reading the stories. I've got so much pleasure from the remakes I've done on old things, especially furniture. Love the before and after and the transformation process. The uglier the item the more rewarding the makeover. While my motivator may be cost efficiency, there is something satisfying about seeing that which was a castoff regain a place of respectability. A sort of metaphor for lives restored, reminding me that just because things look bad, it doesn't necessarily mean life won't be good again.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yaaay Sleepdancer - what a coincidence !!
I love to make something from nothing, to use something for what it was not intended.
At this very moment my husband is in the garage putting the final touches to an upcycling project piece of small furniture.

We needed (I wanted) something for use as a bedside cabinet, not full depth. Picked up an old dated dark horrid varnished item for £10 a week ago.
A lot of sanding and priming.
It is now cream with cafe-au-lait painted top and door and corners. Extra shelf fitted inside.
We will mount it on the wall so that the floor is still clear. But also because it would not be expected to have it wall mounted.
The purpose is to hide hubby's (crap).. bits and pieces.

Thanks you Sleepdancer for a wonderful metaphor for lives restored.... a message of hope.
Betty

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I like making things out of nothing too, also grow my own vegetables, make yoghurt from raw milk, bake bread etc. Some of my favorite tools are a hula hoe and niwashi (Japanese hoe) for weeding—weeds grow very well in New Zealand. I actually like weeding which is a good thing because we have over an acre of weeds among the desirable plants.
But one thing that makes life easier because I'm such a light sleeper is a box end quilt—the sort found in hotels. Duvets drove me nuts the way they moved all over the bed at night. After sleeping well in several hotel beds I searched the web until I found a place in New Zealand to buy one. They should be easier to find in the US or UK. The quilt is light but warm, stays put all night and the bed is practically made in the morning.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can see how a box end quilt would be very nice to have. Great idea!

I also love the idea of reusing things. And, love sleepdancer's metaphor. l
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've never heard of a box end quilt. Sounds just the ticket.
On a similar theme I discovered extra deep sided fitted sheets, really good for a memory foam mattress plus topper. A pleasure to find the sheet is still in place in the morning :)
Now.... (wandering off considering box ended quilt)
Betty