Little Pleasures

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
jul2873

Little Pleasures

Post by jul2873 »

I know this may sound too trivial, but I decided this winter that I would try to find little things that made my life better. After all, even WED is easier to deal with if we feel generally happy. So these are just little things, but they are really helping.

I got space heaters and put them wherever in the house I get cold--in the bathrooms, and esp. in the kitchen when I hang out at night waiting for the kratom to kick in.

A bought a lovely, heavy warm fleece robe, so when my legs wake me up on cold nights I can put it on and right away feel warm.

Bright lights bother me at night, so I go a tiffany style dragon lamp for nighttime in the kitchen. It has a warm wed and yellow glow. I love it!

And tonight, for the first time, I got a new electric blanket. My husband likes the room very cold, and dislikes electric blankets, so I've been shivering under a huge pile of blankets, dressed in my fleece jackets and warm nightgowns. I put my foot down: I needed an electric blanket! So we got a single-bed size one so it's just on my side. Tonight it felt sooooo lovely--light and warm. And all I had to wear was my nightgown.

Over Christmas, I got three little fake trees and put two in the living room and one in the kitchen. So when I was up at night, I was cheered up by the sparkly lights. And after Christmas was over I just threw a sheet over each one and took it to the basement. Easy, easy.

And I immediately buy whatever book I want from audible.com so that, on the nights that kratom is taking care of the restless symptoms, but I'm still wakeful, I can lay in bed (under my nice warm electric blanket) and listen to a fun recording. Currently, I'm listening to the newest Number 1 Ladies Detective series. They always make me smile.

So nothing earth-shattering, but I've decided to take my pleasures where I can find them. Anyone else finding joy in little things?

Mary

ViewsAskew

Re: Little Pleasures

Post by ViewsAskew »

What a lovely reminder of how important the little things can be! I think I've likely integrated all the things I could long ago...nothing comes to mind that is recent.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Thanks for the reminder to be kind to ourselves. Life with a chronic condition can use any good feelings however we may find them. I tend to do without things I would enjoy because once I ask myself if it's a need or a want, I've talked myself out of it. I need to give myself a break and allow myself some wants. Thanks for sharing.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Juls and I so agree, and with Sleepdancer that there comes a time when we should be good to ourselves.... without guilt.

I am now 66 and must agree that little pleasures and wonderful, especially after years of make do and mend.....and questioning.....do I really need this?
When first married I didn't have a washer or dryer for 6 years and worked full time. Everything for me, ex husband and baby, was washed by hand and hung outdoors to dry. Bedding was washed in the bath and transported downstairs and outdoors. This was because I didn't have the cash to buy washer or dryer and wouldn't buy it on credit.

Nowadays I try to have little pleasures, and same for my hubby.
Today is our 10 years anniversary, for years we have had little treats on special occasions, no more jewellery etc. because we have what we need, and more.
But today being a ' special' he wanted to do the jewellery bit and I am delighted with his gift.

However, it is the smaller things that make for real joy.
As Juls says, a cosy bed. A fleecy robe(I've got one), cosy socks are great, a mug of hot chocolate with a little milk, just plain with no cream or marshmallows.
Hot buttered toast and tea - it has to be thick bread and real butter.
Our bedside lamps work by touch and have 3 settings of brightness.... really convenient when needing to find something when WED drives me out of bed during the night.
Buying 4 good quality sweet oranges, rather than taking a chance on the cheap ones and buying 10. It's bliss to know that your piece of fruit will be a pleasure.

Oh, I could go on.
Thank you for reminding us to think of the little pleasures and also to know that we do deserve them.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Oh Polar Bear I love your descriptions. I'm 70, and you bring back memories of early days. I did have a washer and dryer, but also three children, a husband who was career Navy and so at sea all the time, and I taught high school. We never had any money, and I never had a minute to myself. Now it looks like we enjoy the same things. I forgot the cozy socks (which I've just bought this year) and I too love a mug of tea with good bread and butter--and time now to enjoy it in the morning without rushing off to school.

It's nice to focus for a minute on good things. Hope your nights are okay. Peace . ..

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Thanks Jul, for a great list and a reminder to treat ourselves. I sleep better in a cold room but love my electric blanket. We have a queen size with dual controls so I can be as warm as I want and my husband (who is naturally a lot hotter than I am) can set his how he likes.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We don't use an electric blanket, we have cozies. (sp)
A water bottle in a lovely faux fur cover which is still warmish in the morning, and two wheat bags heated in the microwave. All can be tossed out if it gets too warm.
Hubby said no need for all this. Last week I forgot and left the wheat bags sitting in the microwave......... What ?? no cozies ?? says he.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation