Shingles vaccine, Zostavax

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Yankiwi

Shingles vaccine, Zostavax

Post by Yankiwi »

I got the shingles vaccine, Zostavax, today. It was expensive but anyone who has lived with someone with shingles or has known anyone with shingles would probably think it was worth it to prevent getting it. Of course, I could still get shingles, but the vaccine would make it a milder version.
With RLS we don't need any problems that could be prevented. I only found out about this vaccine recently and called to request it right away.

Rustsmith

Re: Shingles vaccine, Zostavax

Post by Rustsmith »

I agree with this completely. I got the vaccine last year.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's on my list when I'm old enough :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

TimG

Post by TimG »

I got the Shingles vaccine at age 60, my wife at age 56. Six years after getting the vaccine I got shingles, but thankfully it was a mild case. I understand that there is a newer Zostavax that has been developed and is even more effective.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Here in UK we get the vaccine free from age 70. A quick google shows that a private vaccine costs around £170.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

TimG, the vaccine does not guarantee protection but luckily you got a mild case. The vaccine helps make sure it is milder than it would be. From what I understand, it also doesn't last forever and immunity is less as a person gets older.
Lucky UK people, the vax costs NZ$190 in New Zealand but that's better than getting a full blown case of shingles.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My understanding is that here in UK it is offered free to over 70s, but is not available once 80 years is reached.
Estimates that I've seen state that about 30% fewer would get shingles and the remainder would have milder symptoms.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

crazy joe

Post by crazy joe »

Im 56 and got it as part of my well visit free