Sleep Deprivation Causes Memory Loss

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Sleep Deprivation Causes Memory Loss

Post by debbluebird »

Memory loss, I know that I have brought this up before, but I think people don't realize when it's happening to them. I believe that it is important to acknowledge, as soon as possible.
I know that I didn't realize it was happening to me. My RLS and PLM started in the late 1980's, I think. To be honest, that was when I was first aware of it. I've been tired my whole life, so who knows when it all started. I started medication around 1992, I think. Don't remember now. Didn't discover the sleep apnea until 2009. But my business partner started questioning my memory in 2005. I thought it was stress. I got my short term memory loss diagnosed in 2011, directly related to sleep deprivation. I had it confirmed in 2013.
With our situation (RLS), you might ask why does it matter, since sleep can be so fleeting? It would have made a difference to me, if I had known what was happening. I think I would have made some different decisions regarding my life, and possibly be in a different position now. I may have prevented losing my house and my job. I don't know. I would like to think so.
I just want everyone to be aware that sleep deprivation causes memory loss. You don't get it back.

JimmyLegs44

Re: Sleep Deprivation Causes Memory Loss

Post by JimmyLegs44 »

Is it sleep deprivation or medication that is causing the memory loss? Or both? I've had memory loss issues as well, and attributed it to Mirapex (just a gut feeling), since during most of my time on Mirapex, I was not sleep deprived. This was one of my reasons, along with augmentation, to discontinue use of Mirapex.
The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I don't know. I was taking Mirapex for about 12 or 13 years. Stopped it in 2009. But I've had sleep deprivation for a lot longer. It was more tgan one doctor who told me it was from sleep deprivation.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

What?

Couldn't resist.

It's amazing how many other health related factors are impacted by sleep loss.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.