Whacha readin?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Sojourner

Whacha readin?

Post by Sojourner »

I just finished the last book in the Millenium series (Girl With the Dragon Tatoo). Just started Winds of War which I never got around to reading. Pretty much read via ebook even though I miss the feel of a real book. Just that the ebook is so darn convenient to use in bed.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Polar Bear

Re: Whacha readin?

Post by Polar Bear »

I use my Kindle Fire now for just about all reading and have made it sync with my iphone. The iphone is so much more lightweight to read when in bed than even the Kindle and with a pillow 'plumped' and positioned at the correct angle to support my wrist..... such comfort :)

I haven't read Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but did watch the TV dramatisation which was excellent.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I liked the Millenium series. I have been reading things like The Art of Project Management and Quality Methods and Systems or A Primer on a Systems View. Fun stuff! Well, it is to my students, at any rate. Classes are over in a few weeks. Maybe I can read a real book.

In the meantime, I'm bingewatching on Netflix. Either because of the depression or the medication, I'm so enervated I can't move off the couch for 3/4 of my day. Reading takes too much effort - but I've sailed through 6 seasons of House :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I chain-read mysteries and thrillers. Right now I've just started a new Jonathan Kellerman novel and finished a Linda Fairstein one. I prefer American mysteries, no matter how hard they try the British ones seem a little too Miss Marple-ish too me but British adventures are good. Australian mysteries are good sometimes. I love my library as I don't want a big collection of books I'll never read again and they are expensive. I read articles and news on my iPad but not books although I'm converting a family history to iPub right now, lots of fish hooks.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Polar Bear wrote:I use my Kindle Fire now for just about all reading and have made it sync with my iphone. The iphone is so much more lightweight to read when in bed than even the Kindle and with a pillow 'plumped' and positioned at the correct angle to support my wrist..... such comfort :)

I haven't read Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but did watch the TV dramatisation which was excellent.

I haven't found a good way to hold the kindle while reading. Like you, PB, I have tried all kinds of pillows as well as a variety of this and that's. I usually wind up reading on my stomach. Not sure what their called, but, at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I purchased one of those angled pillow like things that nestles between the mattress and the wall, headboard, etc. It has a nice angle to place the kindle against. Also, has a little pocket on each end for your reading glasses etc.

ViewsAskew wrote:I liked the Millenium series. I have been reading things like The Art of Project Management and Quality Methods and Systems or A Primer on a Systems View. Fun stuff! Well, it is to my students, at any rate. Classes are over in a few weeks. Maybe I can read a real book.

In the meantime, I'm bingewatching on Netflix. Either because of the depression or the medication, I'm so enervated I can't move off the couch for 3/4 of my day. Reading takes too much effort - but I've sailed through 6 seasons of House :-).

Views, that's some serious reading! I really enjoyed House but I thought the last season or two got a bit off topic. I recently started watching re-runs of Boston Legal which I thought was just hilarious as well as interesting and seemed to stay true to it's original theme from start to finish. We have also been a fan of The Good Wife which is concluding its multi-year run at the end of this season.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The Good Wife is awesome. I'm not caught up, though, so don't tell me anything!

Per the reading, I've read about 30 textbooks or books to use in college classes in the last 9 months. At least I didn't have to memorize any of it like my students have to, lol.

Podcasts are high on my list, too. I adore Radiolab, This American Life, one on Positive Psychology, among others. I think I have about 200 episodes on my phone to listen to...and my legs are going crazy, so I'm about the walk around and listen!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Views, You do a lot of serious reading/listening. You, mam, are a very smart person. Despite my interest in "real life," I have always gravitated toward fiction. I do like the idea of historical fiction but often left with trying to decipher how much to believe or not to believe…that is the question! I have pretty much finished Winds of War but admit that I much preferred Fall of Giants (Follett).

I know we were talking about reading but some tv series got mentioned. Was wondering if anyone has watched the OJ Simpson Trial series. I have enjoyed the series even though I pretty much was transfixed by the real life happenings. Anyway, the series, to me, seems to really point out how much the prosecution botched the case, how politicized the trial became, and how trials can be about anything but justice.

Hope you're having a good night Views.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, I also just watched 3 episodes of Psych (very silly show) while ironing, so not sure how serious I am, lol. Not so much smart as a dabbler - a bit of this, a bit of that. I get bored easily.

I love fiction - while I do have my share of academic topic books in social, psych, org and management sciences along with a bit of things about politics, most of my reading is fiction. I like science fiction, fantasy, historical, magical realism, and much more. If I could figure out how to make money by reading (and not having to edit or write about it after), I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I heard a show on public radio a few weeks ago about the OJ series. I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it. I took a political science class in college where we had to go to courtrooms and watch trials - I was appalled then about the system and how flawed it is. We know, for example, that memory is fluid and changes each time we access the memory. It's not like there is a video of the event that cannot be altered. Then when you take into account all the tactics that can be used...trials are far from balanced. And something that publicized? Yikes - no chance for justice.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We recently watched the docu series Making a Murderer which was riveting.

For reading pleasure I'm onto the murder mystery thrillers, love all the forensics stuff.
However when such is on tv, my husband will scream at the improbabilites of it all, test results appearing so speedily it's like magic etc etc.
Also on any hospital series, my dil who is a senior nurse, is exasperated at how it (should not) is portrayed.

Non fictin reading rarely is part of my reading other than our Managing RLS Book, Coping with Fibromyalgia, and such.

I am impressed with some of previous posters' reading material.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

A large part of the work that I do (or did) has/had to do with forensics of materials that have failed. We enjoy watching the crime type shows in order to find all of the errors that they make. In the beginning they did a pretty good job in my field, now it appears that they just don't care and are not going to let reality get into the way of telling the story.

Last night we watched the "Theory of Everything" movie, which was an adaptation of the book by Stephen Hawking's ex-wife about their life together. There were two things that I really got out of the movie. The first was the way that they portrayed the impact that a chronic disease in one spouse impacts the life of the care giving spouse and their marriage. The second was the frequent references to the fact that he is a fan of science fiction. One scene has him chasing his kids around the house in his electric wheelchair with a paper sack over his head with his "voice" repeating "You will be assimilated" as if he were a Borg from the Star Trek Next Generation series. In another part of the film he made fun of his "voice" by imitating the HAL computer from the 2001 movie. That helped to explain why he appeared as himself in a short part of one of the Star Trek Next Generation shows.
Steve

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

We liked the Theory of Everything a lot!

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes we loved Theory of Everything - a superb movie.
Betty

pinkynose

Post by pinkynose »

I also liked the Theory of Everything. I tried to read a Brief History of Time some years back and probably only got 1/4 of it. I prefer fiction and have been reading a lot of historical fiction lately. Right now I'm reading "The Nightengale" by Kristin Hannah. I think it's well written and I am enjoying it. I also am reading "Dark Money" which I wish was fiction, but it's not.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Anything by Bill Bryson. Right now my husband is reading his latest book, The Road to Little Dribbling and he can't help but read out passages even though he knows I'll read it after him.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't even tackle Dark Money, pinkynose - my blood pressure would be off the charts on every page.

Managing Your RLS