Worst. Haircut. Ever. Really.

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Worst. Haircut. Ever. Really.

Post by ViewsAskew »

I grew out my hair and donated 12" to an organization who creates wigs for kids who lose their hair because of cancer. I had it cut in a very basic bob. All winter, it grew and grew..and looked pretty lousy by now. Yesterday I went to a salon that had at least 50 four and five star reviews in various social media sites.

I am quite nearsighted, so when my hair is being cut, I just see blurs and cannot tell exactly what is happening. Through a gross miscommunication (and definite imcompetence), I ended up with two haircuts - a 60's mop top on the top and a 70's shag on the bottom. it sorta looked like a bad male rock star haircut. Really bad.

To fix it, another stylist - thankfully found for today - cut off another 4 inches from the 4 cut off yesterday. My hair is quite short now (OK for summer and now that I'm swimming a lot, but not what I wanted) and is tolerable. He couldn't completely merge the two because the top was already so short and one length - not enough hair to blend. Between the two cuts I spent over $100. $25 for the bad one and $65 plus tip to make it better. (In a large city, there are no good inexpensive haircuts.)

It will grow out, but will take at least two more cuts to truly merge the top and bottom as they should be.

I hate hair cuts.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Re: Worst. Haircut. Ever. Really.

Post by Yankiwi »

Donating your hair for wigs for children is wonderful but your haircut experience is terrible. It reminded me of a perm I had way back when. I'd had one before so I told the hairdresser that even though my hair looks fairly straight it takes a perm easily so go easy on the chemicals and use bigger rods. Well, she (or he, I don't remember that part) didn't listen and I looked like Harpo Marx. I didn't know that I could have had it straightened so it took a long time to grow out.
My nephew's wife has about a quarter of her head almost shaved and the rest long. Since she keeps getting the same haircut I guess it's deliberate. She's young so she can get away with it but it still looks odd to me.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

ViewsAskew wrote:I grew out my hair and donated 12" to an organization who creates wigs for kids who lose their hair because of cancer. I had it cut in a very basic bob. All winter, it grew and grew..and looked pretty lousy by now. Yesterday I went to a salon that had at least 50 four and five star reviews in various social media sites.

I am quite nearsighted, so when my hair is being cut, I just see blurs and cannot tell exactly what is happening. Through a gross miscommunication (and definite imcompetence), I ended up with two haircuts - a 60's mop top on the top and a 70's shag on the bottom. it sorta looked like a bad male rock star haircut. Really bad.

To fix it, another stylist - thankfully found for today - cut off another 4 inches from the 4 cut off yesterday. My hair is quite short now (OK for summer and now that I'm swimming a lot, but not what I wanted) and is tolerable. He couldn't completely merge the two because the top was already so short and one length - not enough hair to blend. Between the two cuts I spent over $100. $25 for the bad one and $65 plus tip to make it better. (In a large city, there are no good inexpensive haircuts.)

It will grow out, but will take at least two more cuts to truly merge the top and bottom as they should be.

I hate hair cuts.

Oh my. What an experience. That is a wonderful idea to donate your hair. I cut my own hair, and have for several years. I only need a little help with the back length to make sure it's even. My husband does that. I have a good pair of hair scissors. I just never like how they cut my hair. Right now mine is longer than it usually is, but I would have to grow it longer, in order to donate it. The ladies who cut hair here are still charging $15. I paid that a very long time ago.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A wonderful gesture to donate your hair.
Mine would never be long enough as it's never more than a couple of inches at any given time.
My local hairdresser who is only 5 minutes drive away knows me exactly and has been cutting/colouring my hair for 6 years.
Given my shortish hair style I get my kicks from changing colour, adding coloured slices etc.

About 40 years ago when living in Libya I cut my own hair, the Polar Bear version of a pixie chop a la kitchen scissors. I also cut the hair of many of the other ex pats who were happy for it to be 'good enough'. Our standards were not too exacting.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation