Crocheting!

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
jul2873

Re: Crocheting!

Post by jul2873 »

I taught myself how to sew about fifteen years ago, and now that my RLS has gotten so severe, it's been a real blessing. It's a lot of gentle movement: standing up to cut out a garment and pin the first pieces together, then walking over to my sewing machines and sewing a bit, then getting up again and walking over to my cutting table to pin some more pieces together, etc. Usually I have to iron some of the seams after sewing them, pick the threads I'll need, rethread the machines, and so on. Most importantly, the sewing absorbs me, so I rarely think about RLS. And I have some very nice tops and pants to wear!

If you want to start sewing, however, don't try to do it on the cheap. You'll need a decent sewing machine (NOT a current Singer--old ones are fine), a good serger (Juki's are the best, I think) and a good coverstitch machine (love the Janome). A good cutting table also makes things much easier.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can totally see how that would be helpful!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Jar

Post by Jar »

I don't crochet, tried and didn't like it. After working in a knitting store for five years I have knitted so many things and lots of counted cross stitching. My chat room name is "Xstitchinglady", the X for counted. Since then I am Stitch - Stitchie - Stitchielady and on and on. I had to give up the stitching because of my eyes. So it's knitting I do now and I have been doing a Christmas project for over 30 years now. I knit Christmas stockings with the person's name knitted in the stocking and I have done over 30 stockings. I will knit one for the first wife and then later for the remarried wife. I do them for new babies, for my sons wife and her two children. I think I am going to have to give this up also. At 84 years old it's getting to be too much

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Stitch - I could never get to grips with the crochet, literally, it was awful and yet my mother would crochet beautiful bed spreads some of which I have in daily use.
I was a knitter and did a lot of Aran patterns. I loved the cables and the twists. Nowadays I stick to smaller projects. The Aran can be big and heavy as it progresses.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

The last thing I started to knit was a complicated Fair Isle sweater with little fleur de lys through the body. I stopped after my Irish setter attacked it when I was out. This was about 45 years ago!
My husband's mother taught him to knit when he was about 10. Sixt-three years later when he was dying from cancer he wanted to knit to keep his dexterity and cognition. The small fragment he knit is one of my most treasured posessions. Goes to show that any craft like knitting or crocheting is good for us in many ways.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yankiwi - sorting it I had to laugh at the idea of your dog attacking your fair Isle sweater. Not funny at the time. I've never tried Fair Isle..... the idea of all those colours of yarn on the go at once overwhelmed me.

But what a lovely story of your husband leaving you such a heartfelt treasure.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Fair Isle seems terrifying to me! Then again, I haven't done cables, yet, either. Still quite new to it all things considered. Am doing my first garment now - a simple sweater. I am doing three strands together, but that is easy :-).

Yankiwi, I can imagine how much you love that fragment. What a lovely thing to have.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh - speaking of crocheting...LOOOK at this patternwork!

https://intwined.blog/2020/06/10/croche ... ry-afghan/

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Oh... that is something else. Best I ever managed in crochet was the granny squares made from left over yarn and stitched together.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 am
Oh... that is something else. Best I ever managed in crochet was the granny squares made from left over yarn and stitched together.
I didn't even know you could do Brioche with crochet! I may have to learn how to do that!

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I had to look up brioche crotchet. The only brioche I know if is bread !
Brioche Crochet is much more sophisticated than what I meant.

My Crochet square starts in the centre and works round. It's what you get in the easy beginner instructions. :)
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:25 pm
I had to look up brioche crotchet. The only brioche I know if is bread !
Brioche Crochet is much more sophisticated than what I meant.

My Crochet square starts in the centre and works round. It's what you get in the easy beginner instructions. :)
LOL - I knew the granny squares were relatively easy. It's the pattern above that is brioche - and like you, I had to look it up when I first saw it as I only knew it as bread!

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well, we are agreed that brioche crochet is very beautiful.
Betty