Unhappy

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
click4it

Unhappy

Post by click4it »

Relationship and empty nest syndrome. :|

Polar Bear

Re: Unhappy

Post by Polar Bear »

I fully understand the empty nest syndrome, all of our adult children now have their own lives and half of them are spread across the globe.
When I am with those grandchildren who live nearby it gently increases the absence of those who are across the seas.

A saying I always remember is --- We will always miss our children more than they will miss us.

Howeverever, you mention relationship also. Methinks that's what needs attention because the nest was always going to be empty some day.
It is hard on relationships when we have to deal with RLS, up walking through the night, often also during the early evening, and for some of us all through the day. It is currently afternoon 2.45pm here and my lower legs are jigging just to let me get this post finished and I can get walking.

Also, although I start off the nighttime with my husband often I end up in the guest bedroom. Just so I can try and lie down (I'm exhausted) and thrash about because my legs want to, until I can stick it no longer and have to get up again. It takes a very understanding partner to put up with the hassle of this and all the other nuisances. Last night we were both downstairs at 4am, unfortunately I had awakened him.
If you are sad about your relationship - are you and your other half able to discuss matters.
I wish you well.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I will agree with what Polar Bear has said. Empty nest is part of the life of almost every parent and is a sign that you raised them correctly. But relationship problems are a totally different matter. My relationship with my wife has been the only thing that has kept me going at times. When a doctor had me so overmedicated for migraines that I found that I lost all emotions, my feelings for my wife were the only thing that was able to break through and convince me to tell the doctor that she was wrong. And when my RLS results in severe depression, my relationship is the only thing that keeps me from doing something stupid. In a way, I am fortunate that my wife has had a different neurological condition for many years. This helps her understand what things are like for me now. She is actually starting to enjoy the role of caregiver when my RLS gets really bad and I am so sleep deprived that I cannot make decisions, like increasing one of my meds or taking it earlier than normal. Without her and our relationship, there is a very good chance that I would not be here anymore.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Tell us more about what is happening with you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Rustsmith, your love for your wife shines through in your posts.

Sleepless at night

Post by Sleepless at night »

Please be happy that you DO have a relationship.
Some of us have no one.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I like what Betty and Steve posted.