Update, Funny but True

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
EeFall

Update, Funny but True

Postby EeFall » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:00 am

So I retired about 1 1/2 years ago and now I have gotten a new job from a company I worked for years ago. I made a point of asking for a ridiculous wage up front so no company would actually hire me as I like not working. They are going to pay me what I wanted. Yikes! Be careful what you wish for I guess. It will help my wife and I out though so there is no way I could refuse. I am both happy and sad but I will be working as soon as they setup my new office.

My RLS is doing alright and I am still on Suboxone so things are going pretty well except for my son hates me, but then there isn’t anything I can do about it. I tried to keep the severity of my severe RLS from him over the years and now when I tell him the truth about how it messes with me he doesn’t believe it. He just thinks I am a mean old man. Maybe he will learn the truth someday, I hope so. Until then for my peace of mind I have put everything away that would remind me of him and his family. It is tragic really.

ViewsAskew

Re: Update, Funny but True

Postby ViewsAskew » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:26 am

Funny how things like that happen. Glad you received the ridiculous wage!

I feel for you regarding your son. It must be heartbreaking for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:12 am

Well done, you wondered how you would manage financially in retirement, just shows we never know what is around the corner. Fortunately if you decide that you prefer to be not working, you now know that you can manage.

I wonder if your son was to read some case histories of folks with RLS would he have his eyes opened. Of course, he would have to want to understand.
I'm very sorry that he treats you like this, heartbreaking.
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Postby EeFall » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:39 am

ViewsAskew wrote:Funny how things like that happen. Glad you received the ridiculous wage!

I feel for you regarding your son. It must be heartbreaking for you.

Thanks. Looks like I will start work in a little over a week. Sort of a strange Christmas present. I feel like the old guy in the Home Alone movie but their won’t be any happy ending.

EeFall

Postby EeFall » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:50 am

Polar Bear wrote:Well done, you wondered how you would manage financially in retirement, just shows we never know what is around the corner. Fortunately if you decide that you prefer to be not working, you now know that you can manage.

I wonder if your son was to read some case histories of folks with RLS would he have his eyes opened. Of course, he would have to want to understand.
I'm very sorry that he treats you like this, heartbreaking.

He has his own medical problems that may be altering his perspective unfortunately. My RLS sure doesn’t fit the standard bell curve, even I can’t believe the severity of it sometimes. I just hadn’t thought I would lose my son and his family over it also.

Polar Bear

Postby Polar Bear » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Eefall - you mention your son has his own medical problems and very possibly that's as much as he can cope with.
Unfortunately, as parents, we are often on the receiving end.
Good luck in your new employment (ridiculous wage earner that you are :clap: )
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jul2873

Postby jul2873 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:12 am

Eefall, just a note to say how sorry I am about the estrangement with your son. With me, the good news is that I am very close to my adult children. The bad news is that they understand since both of my daughters (not yet my son) also have RLS, although not yet as bad as mine. They are just about where I was at their age, i.e. interrupted sleep a few times a month. We are all desperately hoping someone finds a cure for this awful disease soon.

Return to “Help for Relationships”