What Relationships?

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
Polar Bear

Re: What Relationships?

Post by Polar Bear »

*gsurpur* I also wonder sometimes, what is normal. What would I be like without rls and without being stuffed full of medications. However it is some of those medications that somewhat control my rls.
Coping with chronic medical conditions can be very debilitating and it is easy to become depressed.

This is how I found myself over the last few months, feeling low and unbelievably anxious, and eventually made myself talk to my GP. I have just started a course of antidepressants and fervently hope they work. Bearing in mind that a negative impact on my rls is possible.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:50 pm
*gsurpur* I also wonder sometimes, what is normal. What would I be like without rls and without being stuffed full of medications. However it is some of those medications that somewhat control my rls.
Coping with chronic medical conditions can be very debilitating and it is easy to become depressed.

This is how I found myself over the last few months, feeling low and unbelievably anxious, and eventually made myself talk to my GP. I have just started a course of antidepressants and fervently hope they work. Bearing in mind that a negative impact on my rls is possible.
I hope that the AD works, PB. I spent the last year mourning, grieving, and being depressed on top of the weight of the chronic illness stuff - it's been pretty miserable, so I can definitely commiserate. Still not myself, but at least I am doing things again.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you Views.... Yes so much chronic illness. So debilitating.
I've only been on the AD for one week and can only hope for the best.
I had no idea you were poorly and so glad you are on the mend.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I spent the last year mourning, grieving, and being depressed on top of the weight of the chronic illness stuff - it's been pretty miserable,
Ann, so sorry to hear that you last year has been bad. I have had troubles the last few months as well and hopefully can get through next weekend since it will be the fourth anniversary of my medical malpractice experience.
PB, in addition to being careful watching for RLS issues, read all of the side effects that can occur with your AD and remember that it takes a couple of weeks for even the best ones to become effective and that during the first two or three weeks, they can actually make your mood problems worse. Also keep in mind that ADs only work for about 50% of patients that they are given to.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you Steve. Yes, I've been reading through all the side effects and been researching for many hours. This first week has indeed been very difficult with low mood and the worst anxiety I've ever experienced. I've read many reviews and knew to expect this and to persevere. Today seemed ever so slightly better and I hope this is a good sign.
Disappointing to hear that ADs only work for about 50% and hope fervently that I'm in the fortunate 50%.
Thanks again.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:16 pm
Thank you Views.... Yes so much chronic illness. So debilitating.
I had no idea you were poorly and so glad you are on the mend.
I do hope it works, Betty. It hurts my heart to think of you feeling like that.

For me, it was a cumulative thing - a difficult work situation, a very sick dog, and a sick best friend. Everything just kept getting worse and then both dog and friend died. I just couldn't manage anymore. It's been almost a year since it all became so crazy. I finally started gardening again a couple months ago and going on walks and so on. I almost feel like me....not quite, but it's much better.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Rustsmith wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:09 am
I spent the last year mourning, grieving, and being depressed on top of the weight of the chronic illness stuff - it's been pretty miserable,
Ann, so sorry to hear that you last year has been bad. I have had troubles the last few months as well and hopefully can get through next weekend since it will be the fourth anniversary of my medical malpractice experience.
Thank you. And, I am so sorry to hear that you, also, have been going through difficulties, too, Steve. I hope that this anniversary is a turning point in how you experience and look at it.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann, what an awful year you've had. It is encouraging that you are almost there and I wish so much that this progress continues. How on earth did you cope.

Steve, I can hardly believe that it is 4 years since that awful time when you were so badly treated. I wish you well as the anniversary comes around.

It is very difficult at this time of year when the expectations of being happy/social are upon everyone.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:09 am
Ann, what an awful year you've had. It is encouraging that you are almost there and I wish so much that this progress continues. How on earth did you cope.

Steve, I can hardly believe that it is 4 years since that awful time when you were so badly treated. I wish you well as the anniversary comes around.

It is very difficult at this time of year when the expectations of being happy/social are upon everyone.
It is indeed a tough time of year.

I still almost cannot fathom that Steve was treated as he was - it feels like something out of a movie from the 1940s. Yet it was just a few years ago. And likely could still happen to someone else.

So many things we take for granted. In a moment, all of that can flip 180.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I often think of that awful experience Steve endured and how it could still happen to others who are vulnerable. Patients who deserve good medical care and are mistreated.

Many people I'm sure will be struggling through this holiday season heavy hearted but with a smile on their face for the sake of those around them. We should remember that no one is perfect and no family is perfect regardless of what we see.
Difficult as it is I wish contentment for all of us as we head for a new year.
Betty