Update, Funny but True

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
EeFall

Update, Funny but True

Post by EeFall »

So I retired about 1 1/2 years ago and now I have gotten a new job from a company I worked for years ago. I made a point of asking for a ridiculous wage up front so no company would actually hire me as I like not working. They are going to pay me what I wanted. Yikes! Be careful what you wish for I guess. It will help my wife and I out though so there is no way I could refuse. I am both happy and sad but I will be working as soon as they setup my new office.

My RLS is doing alright and I am still on Suboxone so things are going pretty well except for my son hates me, but then there isn’t anything I can do about it. I tried to keep the severity of my severe RLS from him over the years and now when I tell him the truth about how it messes with me he doesn’t believe it. He just thinks I am a mean old man. Maybe he will learn the truth someday, I hope so. Until then for my peace of mind I have put everything away that would remind me of him and his family. It is tragic really.

ViewsAskew

Re: Update, Funny but True

Post by ViewsAskew »

Funny how things like that happen. Glad you received the ridiculous wage!

I feel for you regarding your son. It must be heartbreaking for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well done, you wondered how you would manage financially in retirement, just shows we never know what is around the corner. Fortunately if you decide that you prefer to be not working, you now know that you can manage.

I wonder if your son was to read some case histories of folks with RLS would he have his eyes opened. Of course, he would have to want to understand.
I'm very sorry that he treats you like this, heartbreaking.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:Funny how things like that happen. Glad you received the ridiculous wage!

I feel for you regarding your son. It must be heartbreaking for you.

Thanks. Looks like I will start work in a little over a week. Sort of a strange Christmas present. I feel like the old guy in the Home Alone movie but their won’t be any happy ending.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:Well done, you wondered how you would manage financially in retirement, just shows we never know what is around the corner. Fortunately if you decide that you prefer to be not working, you now know that you can manage.

I wonder if your son was to read some case histories of folks with RLS would he have his eyes opened. Of course, he would have to want to understand.
I'm very sorry that he treats you like this, heartbreaking.

He has his own medical problems that may be altering his perspective unfortunately. My RLS sure doesn’t fit the standard bell curve, even I can’t believe the severity of it sometimes. I just hadn’t thought I would lose my son and his family over it also.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Eefall - you mention your son has his own medical problems and very possibly that's as much as he can cope with.
Unfortunately, as parents, we are often on the receiving end.
Good luck in your new employment (ridiculous wage earner that you are :clap: )
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Eefall, just a note to say how sorry I am about the estrangement with your son. With me, the good news is that I am very close to my adult children. The bad news is that they understand since both of my daughters (not yet my son) also have RLS, although not yet as bad as mine. They are just about where I was at their age, i.e. interrupted sleep a few times a month. We are all desperately hoping someone finds a cure for this awful disease soon.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Thank you for your replies.

I haven't been on here for awhile.

I have now been working for almost 3 weeks. My sleeping is extremely bad. I am lucky to get 3 hours sleep a night, and not all at the same time. I get up for work at 4:45 am. Many nights I will go to bed at 8 or 9 pm and fall asleep for maybe a half hour. Wake up and can't sleep again until around 1 am, and then it is on and off and pretty light sleep.

When I was not working it really didn't matter if I slept or not, but now it stresses me out not getting enough sleep. The weird thing is I go to work and work 8 hours in a row with hardly any breaks and I have no trouble doing my work. I wonder how I can even function but I have decided that no matter how my sleep goes I'm getting up and going to work everyday.

It is a good thing they are paying me what I asked for if it would have been a cent less I probably would have quit by now. I feel like such a pirate, I love money...rrrrrr. I am taking the earnings and getting rid of any bills we have. I have no idea how long this job will last but the longer it does the better it will be for us to have a nice retirement.

Hope you all keep on keeping on.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The weird thing is I go to work and work 8 hours in a row with hardly any breaks and I have no trouble doing my work. I wonder how I can even function......

EeFall - I can fully understand this state of sleep affairs. Absolutely.
I can keep on keeping on.... my husband cannot understand how this is possible.
(Well, actually the other morning it didn't seem so possible and I kind of lost it with him when he was trying to be supportive. I'm not proud of myself but that's a whole other story).

I remember how hard it was for you when you were previously working and how desperate you were to have retirement.

Now you are back working again .... but it is so different. You are in control and should it become impossible you will have a choice/power of what to do. That in itself eases the pressure of employment.
Betty

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Eefall, been there done that. During the nine months that I was seriously augmented on DAs, I averaged 3.5 hrs of sleep each night. I couldn't drive for more than 30 minutes without pulling over for a 10 minute nap, but during that time I did some of the most technical work that came up since I retired 11 yrs ago. I even wrote a 70+ page expert witness report, much of it with my desk raised to standing height so that I could continue to move around while typing.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Yes; I have had the same experience. If I had to work I could keep going and get through surprisingly technical stuff even with virtually no sleep night after night. Just occasionally it would catch up with me, however, and I did have the humiliating experience of falling asleep in a small meeting room with some of influential business people and lawyers.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

At work today I forgot to take 9:30 am meds then noon meds. By 1 pm I was hyper and getting a little crazy in the mind. I just can’t miss Suboxone or I get anxious, irritable, paranoid, stressed. Really I can’t put it into words but it is terrible. So then I took both doses and by the time I got home around 2:45 pm I was getting better but sort of afraid that something would happen. Now it is 6:50 pm and took another dose at 5:30 pm and I’m really depressed. The moral of this story is I am dependent on Suboxone because of RLS and because I am seriously hooked on the stuff so I shouldn’t be a stupid *** and take them on time.

Besides that and missing 3 days of work over the last 2 weeks cause of a foot of snow and black ice things aren’t going too bad. Every time I start a job it seems like they give me two more jobs that are hotter the next day. At least they have a lot of work, knock on wood. I have gained back 25 pounds since summer. Not sure why except at work I basically sit or stand working at desk and computer. I miss working out in yard. Suboxone is now costing me $315 a month. It went up from around $250. It really is not fair that insurance gets away without paying for it cause it is not on some list that says it works for RLS. I would be dead without it but what the **** do I know I’m just one of many with severe RLS that can continue a fairly normal existence because of it (if you call paying $10 everyday for overpriced prescriptions normal lol).