Separation anxiety

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hey my Lynne.

Parris Island. God bless him!

Now, I don't know how much comfort this is going to be but I wanted to share some of my experiences with you.

Some of my guys (they're still really just boys) have been called over. Thing is, they are in places that are just being policed. Non-combat type places.
I just got an email from one yesterday. He's fine and can't wait to come home and come back to school. Granted, it's not how they all go over..but it is a terrifying thought as a parent as to what is next???? He is YOUR son Lynne. If he is anything like you, he has a good head on his shoulders and will be fine. No one faults you for crying and worrying...heck, you wouldn't be a good parent if you didn't.

I don't know if any of this means anything to you. All our families are wrapped together in our moon...God's eye. Bless his heart for feeling the need to do this. Bless you for being the wonderful Mom you are. God will watch out for him...as He does all of us.

My prayers will be with your son and with all of you like they have been since I met you all!

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Neco

Post by Neco »

My brother lucked out with a medical discharge for arthritis, and if not for my own problems I'd probably be over there right now myself.

Last year when I flew into BWI for my trip home I came across a promenade full of soldiers who it seems were just coming back and I had what would have been the coolest photograph also, had I brought my camera tripod... Crummy camera does not respond well to shakey hands :( it was totally ruined.

But they noticed me and kind of smirked at each other, which for some reason felt kind of cool.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I remember feeling what I imiagine is something similar to how you are feeling. When Daniel (who had never mentioned anything about the military) came home and said he signed up and was leaving, we were shocked. It was so hard to see him go.

If you are like I was, there is nothing I can say to make it feel less like it does. It simply is what it is, and will turn out how it turns out. As his mother, I can't imagine you feeling any other than how you do. As his mother, you raised him to be a responsible adult and make his own decisions and to let him go. Golly it can be hard to do that and to accept that we can't take care of them any more. All we can do it love them and hope that life works out well for them.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Oh boy. That's a tough situation Lynne.

You know I feel for you sister...hang in there. Not to sound all overly sentimental because I think it's the truth and I don't know how to say it any other way, but a Mother's prayers for her children, all those prayers with tears and genuine love just get right through to His heart and are some of the dearest to God...no matter how old her children are.

Best feelings to you Lynne...

becat

Post by becat »

Thank you to you all for the prayers, the warm thoughts, the hugs in cyber space.
I keep thinking I have no idea why I'm so lucky to have a family like this is lean on, but never question good friends.
I know that you are all right, the military is genereally good for young people and they come home with a better direction in life. I know that he'll come home to me, has to. Just has to.
Some 27 yrs ago my family and I, along with a girlfriend of my oldest brothers, went to Parris Island to watch my oldest brother graduate from boot camp. He was so awesome, proud, and so handsome in his dress blues.......First in his whole grad. class....it was such an honor to watch the whole process.
I'll be proud to take the whole pack with me again and watch the 5th generation in my family serve our country.
See that sounded good right? Typed it right through the tears.
Thank you, ya'll lift me and steady my heart.
Yes, we all fit in the same moon.
Love ya'll
Lynne

ctravel12

separation anxiety

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Lynne
You have been in my thoughts and prayers today. Please let me know how you are doing. I really do care.

Love ya and lots of hugs to you and your family.l
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Man I'll never forget when our oldest son Hunter went off to college. The whole family drove him down there and the day was going pretty well till a half hour before it was time to leave...which is when our youngest son started sobbing which caused a chain reaction in all of us, even Hunter. Talk about a bunch of cry babies. You'd think he was going to the moon forever.
But it is tough. Whenever one of them goes...it's tough.
Hang in there Lynne.

brandy

Post by brandy »

Dear, sweet Lynne - I know that today is the day you are bidding your darling boy farwell to boot camp and I want you to know that I am holding your hand as tightly as I can in spirit. I can only imagine the jumble of emotion you must be feeling right now. I wanty you to know that I am praying for you and grieving with you. You are strong and brave and he is so lucky to have you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Lynne---

I'm sure right about now is a really horrible time for you and your hubby. I was going to write about how it was for Wendall and me when our son went off to the AF in my original post, but didn't. I'm going to now.

We took him to the recuritor's office on a Thursday afternoon. They were going by bus to St. Louis where they would spend the night and, after going through whatever they had to to complete things, they were leaving for basic training at Lackland AFB in Texas.

I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. WAM, you said you and your wife were a mess. OMG, Wendall and I tried to keep it together when he left. Of course, I didn't. When that bus pulled off, I broke down. Wendall held me and then we drove home--just across town. When we got home, Wendall and I went in the house--I was still crying. I looked at him and all of a sudden, he started sobbing. When I saw him cry (he's always pretty stoic), that did it. We just clung to each other. I think we stood there sobbing for quite awhile. Then, he looked at me and said "boy, we're a mess, aren't we?"

We had already taken our two girls to college and cried over that--at least I did. But, this was so much worse. We weren't at war when Mike went into the AF. But, it was bad enough. Mike called one time from basic--on a Sunday morning. We just happened to be home--hadn't gone to church yet. When I heard his voice, it was all I could do not to cry. They were all given one phone call that morning by the TI. And, we got one letter from him. They were urged to write about their true feelings. You could see tear stains on Mike's letter, and he wasn't usually like that.

He spent almost 8 years in the AF, the last 3 in Alaska. About six months after he was sent to AK, September 11 happened. Mike worked on fighter jets and he was stationed at one of the biggest Air Force bases in the world. There was a 24 hour time period where we had absolutely no contact with him and thought he had been sent to the mid-east. He didn't have to go then, but had his bags packed. During his time in Alaska, he never came home and we never got to go up there. He was always on alert after 9/11.

While he was in the AF, he went to Turkey twice, to Saudi Arabia once and trained in Nevada several times.

I wish I could take the pain and hurt from Lynne and her husband. Their son is going to the Marines and we're at war. It's a shame we all have to go through this...but I'm proud of all of our men and women in uniform. They all belong to someone who's at home worrying and who cried when they left.

Lynne's my dear friend and I love her. That makes this really hard. This time it's Lynne who's going through this hard time. God Bless her and her family. God Bless her son. God Bless America.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

becat

Post by becat »

Well it was our goodbye night and hugs were handed out liberally, with hopes that the feeling will carry us all through.
For those of you (can't imagen there are many of you) My Chris is not my son by birth, but a gift from God by marriage, 17 days older than my own birth son.......but I have raised them both and he's mine. I have been lucky to have known his mother well and we do indeed get along very well. A nice, funny, talented woman. I simply was the mom that got the full time live in job and loved being that , lol, most of the time. :D
Tonight "our" son and all 4 of his parents spent every last moment we could. Yup, I cried through the silly parent video, but so did most of the others. They were showing men, we were there with our boys. O my how small they look and how fast that time flies by while raising them.
We all went to dinner and after he wanted me and Dad to drive him to the hotel. It was the best hug and the worst hug. The tightest, longest, gripe for life hug in the world. He asked me to keep his cross for him ( he couldn't take it) I'm wearing it and asked that he put it on me.
Jan your right, I thought it hurt tons until I saw my husband grab that boy and hold him like the first time he's held him as a baby. It was ripping my heart out for all to see. It's a heart picture, even as sad as it was, there is something wonderful about family and the true love we share.
I thnak you Brandy, Jan, Randy, Zach, Dawn, Charlene, and Ann for lifting my heart up to the moon, in warm healing thoughts, and in prayer. Thank you is not enough at times like this, but it is all I have. You have all saved me once again, for that you'll forever stay in my prayers and in my heart. This family is filled with that kind of love that one can't easily explain, but how lucky am I to have you all.
God Bless you all and thank you. My love to you each and all.
Lynne

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

My darling Becat, nothing in the world can prepare you for something like this. Moving to another state is nothing that can't be handled. But the mother in us refuses to relate to the fact that our babies grow up and move away. Then when you compound that feeling by the fact that you know they are possibly going into danger and there is NOTHING you can do to protect them, it just tears you apart. And what is this about messing up my post? Where you there for me? YESYESYES!!! This isn't a private post that only one person can vent on. It's for anyone and everyone who needs it. You are written on my heart and so my heart is breaking for you. Take it one minute at a time, keep us posted and let us know what we can do to help. I have lost my computer again so am doing this at work (naughty, naughty!) but I will stay in touch. Love and hugs to you. Ruby
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Post by becat »

You know I love you too My Miss Rubyslippers.
Thank you my darling and God bless you.
Lynne

becat

Post by becat »

God Bless Me and shot me.
I finally left the house today, I just knew there was no way I was going to get a call after this much time....ok, 3 days....
Walked my 3.5 with the hubby and dawg! Went out for a hamburger....
My son called 5 minutes before we got home. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ok, I cried cause I missed the call.
But he's there, he's fine for now, and he'll get his platoon and Drill Instructor on Friday.
I'm unhappy to have missed the call, but I'm better, much better.
Thank you all agin for your prayers and thoughts. Please keep my son in your prayers. I want him to make it, this is what he choose, so I want it to work out for him.
No need to answer, just FYI to my cyber family about the home family.
I so love you all. My lifesavers.
Hugs and our moon,
Lynne

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Been praying and thinking about you and yours most of every day. I'm glad he made it safe and sound. Keep up with the FYI's because we all want to know how he is and how you are. The moon may not be full in reality but it is in our hearts.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I'm so glad you heard from your son, Lynne. I know how disappointed you were when you missed his call---hopefully he'll get to call again. Mine did after he was in boot camp for a little while.

As Ruby said, the moon may not be full in reality, but it is in our hearts and we're all sharing it with you.

Love and hugs

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.