Separation anxiety

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
RLSJAX

I feel your pain

Post by RLSJAX »

RUBYS: I don't have the cold weather you have, but the distance from grandchildren I do have. Our oldest (23) just moved to our town to work and brought his soon-to-be bride with him (May 27), so that is a joy. The next one (girl) (15 today) is just 2 1/2 hours away, but we don't get to see her very often. Then, the next girls (13 and 3) are over 5 hours away and we hardly ever see them (maybe twice a year) and that's painful. We just don't ride well in a car that far, and they say they can't travel that far with a wiggly one. Taint fair, is it. I know you and hubby will miss them being nearby, but you'll live (just not as joyfully, I'm afraid). The Internet does really bridge the gap, however, with video, still pics, audio messages, and Email, so we keep up pretty much on their lives - almost like being there, especially with the webcam. If you don't have that now, get out and buy one - they're getting really inexpensive. You can live chat, without a telephone bill, and see each other at the same time. Take care. God loves you and I love you. Ed :lol:

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Thank you so much for such kind words and support. We are coming to terms with this especially since it is the career move she wants. Sometimes when plans change on you unexpectedly, it's hard to adjust. But it will be okay and I am already planning places to visit when we are down there. Her job interview is April 13 but it's really just a formality. All have been so great and helped me through this. I'm going to be okay. At least until we pull away after moving them down!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, that will probably be the time you fall apart - when it's all over and done. If you think that will help clear the emotions and make you feel better, do it. Sometimes a good cry can help so much. On the other hand, sometimes it just perpetuates my misery. If you don't think you'd be avoiding it, maybe you could plan an activity for that ride home so you won't have to be so miserable. Like writing letters to the grandbaby, or creating a schedule of how often you will visit, or going through photos you can start putting in a book. Then again, if you are driving, those tasks might be a little difficult :lol: .

Maybe you could sing songs and record them as you drive. Or record your thoughts for your daughter or grandbaby to get from you in the future. Most of us feel so terrible that we've missed so much critical information and by the time we ask our parents or grandparents, they are too old to remember! You could record your family history, songs in that great voice, or just stories about your parents or grandparents.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Aw, Ann--how perfect! I hadn't thought about recording songs for the baby. They could use them to keep the baby awake so it will sleep better at night! :lol: But you have some terrific ideas. I'll let go for awhile and cry but then it will be okay. In the meantime I have the happy priviledge of seeing my tall, skinny dauaghter start to get a baby bump. She's half way there and hasn't started wearing maternity clothes yet. She just "rubber-bands" the opening in her jeans a little! I want to go shopping with her before they leave just for some fun things. I don't know how to thank everyone here. You've helped me put this into perspective and realize just how blessed I am. I've said it before and will say it again, I just don't know what I would do without all of you! (And I agree, there aren't enough emoticons on here!) XXXOOO
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Hi Ruby.
I don't come to the "Relationships" forum, hardly at all, so I didn't see this post. I was here once and you ladies were kinda doing that women talk thing, it was pretty personal stuff, which some of us kind of shy away from...'specially some of us who are of the male gender.

Sorry I can't be there to help with the Transmission. You know they don't make 'em like they used to, they're pretty tough to work on these days thanks to all those engineer geniuses. I work on Big Stuff out at the mill and I'll tell you, that big stuff is simpler than these new cars. Don't get me wrong, I can handle a transmission, long as I don't have to rebuild it.

So here I am fumbling around because...Awwww Ruby, I can't think of anything to say to make you feel better.
Want me to quote "Footprints In The Sand"?

You'll get through ok. And you've got some good friends taking care of you when you get low. Maybe they'll be back sooner than you think.

Randy

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Yeah, well Randy even with the "guy" thing you do just fine when it comes to supporting your friends. It's going to be fine and I can't wait to hold that Grandbaby, whether it's here or in Arkansas. I already have enough traveling companions wanting to go along that I could go every week-end if I wanted! But they will need time to settle in. We'll know for sure by next week-end and by then I may know whether this baby will be a girl or boy...not that I care! Just a healthy baby and mommy, that's all that concerns me! As for the transmission, I'm still rooting for a new car!

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Just an update if anyone cares. I talked to Heather today, she's about 3 weeks away from baby day. But she is losing weight (only gained 15 lbs to begin with) and if she doesn't gain any by next week, they will induce labor. The doctor says losing weight is hard on the baby. Sounds like she will be a small baby and maybe early. So if I'm gone from here for awhile, don't worry. In the words of Arnold..."I'll be baack".

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I know I care! We'll miss you, but know that you are doing very important mom and grandmom stuff.

My mom was sick with me almost the entire pregnancy. When she delivered, she weighed less than she had when she got pregnant. I was 6 pounds, 14 ounces and all was fine. I'll be hoping for the same with Heather and grandchild.

Oh, any names picked out yet? Enjoy your visit, Ruby. It will be one of the most important times of your life.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

You know I love someone having a baby, better when it;s not me, and better yet when it makes Ruby a grandma. LOL Love it and I hoep that baby hangs in there for as long as possible.
Your poor daughter must be needing a good solid whole cream milkshake and some good snack yummies, as I hope she is resting, only resting.
I know this is the scary part, but I've seen so amazing things when it comes to birth. My bet is that God is got her in his hands and she will safely arrive at just the right time.
Yeah! Grandbabies.
I love you Ruby, breathe deep and keep in touch if possible.
Love hugs and prayers to you, Ken , and the new mommy and that baby.
Life is a wonderous thing isn't it?
hugs and the moon
lynne

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Bye Ruby...don't stay gone too long.
God Bless you and that baby and the family.

Randy

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Ruby! of course we care!

God bless you all and all will be well!!!!!

Hurry "home"!

Love you
Beware the Penguin

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

(((((((((((((BIG HUG))))))))))))))))))

**************Positive Thoughts and Energy************

Keeping you and the family in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted and know that we are all patiently waiting to hear from you!

Love Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Thanks to all of my wonderful friends. Her name is Isabelle Page Allen and I know things will be fine. Mikey, if you're reading this, sorry guy but I DO believe in that higher power of God and that makes my heart lighter. Believe me, I'll let you know when something happens. They even have computers in Arkansas! LOL

brandy

Post by brandy »

Ruby, take care, love and I am sending all the love I can to sweet Isabelle. The Talmud says that every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow." So does your darling little girl.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

mikeyvon

grandchild

Post by mikeyvon »

Hi Ruby my good friend,

I may be a non-believer, but that never stopped me from wishing the best to the people I love. So that's just what I'm doing right now. Mother and baby will be just fine...I believe that.

I love ya and miss ya. Say hi to Ken for me.

Mikey