Sometimes. . .

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
tazzer

Post by tazzer »

yep aries i made that mistake once, the tylenol pm thing. miserable, if you have a cold i suggest nyquil, when i have one that is what i take.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

becat

Post by becat »

I was just talking to someone about this today.
When i have a cold, I can't just take what everyone else seems to take and not suffer worse than the cold or flu itself.
However, to help with that sad, sorry stuffy nose, I have found that if I eat ginger, jalapenos (hot), or a tablespoon of horseradish, it does light me up, but my nose will drain as well. It's not easy, but it does make it easier to fit in 8 glasses of water a day. LOL
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Dee, I'm glad Nyquil works for you, but just wanted to caution that it may bother some people with RLS. It has an antihistamine in it - doxylamine succinate. Some people cannot take any of these type of sedating antihistamines without worsening RLS. These older ones all cross the blood-brain barrier, which makes them bad for many with RLS. The newer ones do not, and are tolerated by most of us.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

you know ann that is so weird how some of that stuff makes some of us crazy and some it doesn't. i can't remember who said it but this thing has no rhyme or reason. when i have a cold if the nyquil didn't work i would just have to go to my neuro and say" treat my cold" i don't want to have to go through the millions of cold things i can't take and then explain why i can't take them yada yada yada.. so far the nyquil hasnt aggrivated my legs...but with rls who knows how long that is gonna last. geeeezzzz what i wouldn't give to be able to just take a friggin cold med when i need it.
lynne, ummmm after that rememdy how long do you stay in the pottty???
lol that would kill me. lol i guess i can tell hubby when i have a cold to go to chicago uno grill and get me the rattlesnake pasta. that stuff makes my nose drip like crazy lol.

dee

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

becat

Post by becat »

lol :shock: lol

lol :D :D :D

lollollolllol
well, not always, I am a Texan, I eat stuff like that, like most the world eats a pickle.
Lynne

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

ViewsAskew wrote:Not really a rant or a vent, just a notation on a day in the life of someone sleep deprived who felt terribly misunderstood.

I'll tell you what's worse then being misunderstood by regular people...

My neurologist just referred me to another neurologist since she's not sure what to do with my RLS. Ok, that story is a dime a dozen... but this neurologist has RLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: Ok, I win. That one has to take the cake! :) That's right, a neuro with RLS who doesn't know how to treat me and I hadn't even asked for pain meds yet, just Neurontin and sleep aids.

Needless to say, I'm on to the next doctor now for relief, all I have to do is wait another 6-7 weeks until he's available, lol.

ctravel12

sometimes

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Hos That is really something a neurologist who does have RLS and not sure what to do with yours. Something is wrong with this picture. I do not blame you for looking for another neurologist. I sure hope that you can get in before the 6-7 weeks are up.
Keep us posted how you are doing and if you find a good neurologist.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hos

All I can say is "oh brother!" This takes the cake!!!!! I'm sitting here shaking my head in frustration for you.... Please keep us posted on how your doc hunt goes and good luck!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Thanks. It really was crazy. I'm sure the next doctor will be better since Lynne recommended him. I trust that recommendation! :) But yeah, this new doctor is popular (Dr. Becker) so I doubt I'll get in before my appt. on Jan. 4th in Dallas. Dallas traffic here I come, yuck!

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

dallas traffic :P piece of cake, come try I95 traffic. i said when i moved up here, i would never complain about Houston traffic again. omg this place is like a parking lot. talk about great for rls, sitting in friggin traffic. that is a mind blower, a doc with rls who doesn't know how to treat you! ok your neuro wins the darwin award for this year!

dee

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

becat

Post by becat »

You'll do fine with Dr. Becker, lol, I've broken him in. LOL
He's a nice man and I must say did a great job at the National Meeting. We are probably the toughest crowd to impress and never shy about correcting people.
Hos He's worth the traffic. And Tazzer, no way would you find me driving in Washingtion, DC. Just not born to do such things. LOL
lol Gotta love an RLSer that has a medical degree and is lost as we seem to be most of the time. If it weren't so par for the course it would be funny.
However, my day to day is not on the lighter side today and the whole thing makes me wonder......Where do we find the hope?
I guess the answer is right under my nose and finger tips, our hope is right here, among the family.
Hos Help is on it's way babe. Just hold on til you get in.
Hugs to you all
Lynne

snyderra

Tricky...

Post by snyderra »

Not that I'm looking for a big reaction, but I, too, get frustrated with people who think RLS is "no big deal." So my thing is that after I say I have RLS, I say that it affects the same part of the brain as Parkinson's. That's true---I even take Requip, which is a lower dose of a medicine originally developed for Parkinson's. You say RLS, no one cares. You say Parkinson's, and suddenly it's an awful thing. Accurate? Yes. Tricky? Yes. Effective? Yes. Guilty? No. :wink:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Great minds! I do something similar - I say I have RLS - they say, what's that? Instead of listing the words it stands for, I say, "It's a movement AND sleep disorder. For example, Tourette's and Parkinson's are other movement disorders that affect that same part of the brain as RLS."

If we all avoid saying "restless legs" and always say "RLS" we can avoid some of the negative connotations. And, how we describe it can help others have more empathy for the condition.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

brandy

Post by brandy »

If I remember correctly, Dr. B. said some folks are lobbying for a name change. I hope it happens soon. I usually say, "It's a movement disorder" with a little bit of explanation. I avoid "Restless Legs" when I can as well. I guess it reminds us all to take heed as to what we take seriously and what we do not. We have to rely on each individual to accurately describe his/her own experience rather than decide for ourselves how good or bad a situation might be.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

People have been lobbying for a name change for a long time. The people at the conference were pretty clear - there will not be a name change. I wish they would revisit this, but for now their stand is clear.

Managing Your RLS