Silly Little Symptom

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
Hos
Voice Chat Host

Silly Little Symptom

Post by Hos »

I know that no RLS symptom is "silly" or "little" but I'm excited about this group and was curious if others have this issue too.

Of course, when my legs are at rest then the RLS kicks in after a short while. But when one of my young daughters sits in my lap (on my legs) my RLS usually kicks in much faster then if I was sitting alone. If my wife puts her leg on my leg it happens too. Sometimes if I'm at a get-together and a bunch of people are sitting on a couch with me and it's cramped, my RLS kicks in much faster then if I was sitting alone.

This is one messed up situation! Oh well, life goes on and I communicate with my family and make sure they know it's not them but the RLS that limits some forms of affection and they understand. Anyone else?

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

One thing I've learned on this board, you're never alone. I use to feel guilty asking to hold my granddaughter as a baby then after a few minutes, had to give her to someone else or get up and walk because of my rls kicking in. The minute my dh puts his arm around me in bed, my legs kick in (no pun intended). I've read where some of that can come from the ADHD (not wanting to be cuddled too tightly) but have never known if it's the ADHD or RLS to blame. Thank goodness I have a dh who understands and doesn't take it personally. Crazy thing is, most nights when I begin to THINK about getting ready for bed (lying still), my legs start in :twisted:

Unfortunately, my youngest daughter is the same way. If I just sit on her bed to tuck her in and my legs start squirming, she yells for me to get up before her's start in! Neither of us can stand for anyone to touch our legs - including sitting close on a couch or just a love pat. I sure hate this has passed on to her.

Kim

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

Hos, it seems we have alot in common. When either of my children sit beside me or in my lap, my RLS will kick in. I am not sure, but for me, I think its because I feel so uncomfortable. I hate to feel crowded and when I do, my legs start squirming and hurting. I love to have my children sit with me, but I can't stay comfortable for very long. I also can't cross my legs without discomfort. Does anyone else have problems crossing their legs?
Rebecca

Incense

Post by Incense »

I have a similar issue, but usually only when sleeping (every now and then, if I'm in a crowded area, but not always). If I'm sleeping with someone else in the bed, and they're too close (ie, brushing my legs or with an arm around me or anything like that) the rls kicks in badly enough to wake them up. Then it's impossible to sleep with.
Luckily (?) mine's usually only in bed. And I don't have too much problem with crossing my legs- I just can't stay that way for a long period of time.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Incense---

Well, I'm right with you. If my dog sits on my legs, sometimes that drives me crazy. My kids are all grown up, so I don't have children sitting on my lap and no grandchildren yet.

I also have a problem with tight spaces. So many of us have similar issues with RLS---you'll find you are never alone. RLS is crazy and can drive you crazy. But, we're all here for each other.

Hang in there----

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

KT

Post by KT »

i have similar stuff too....

people sitting on a couch or in car seats next to me make it kick up

if someone puts their cat on me too, it tends to happen