foreign exchange student

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
ctravel12

foreign exchange student

Post by ctravel12 »

My hubby and myself will be having an foreign exchange student the week of March 12 for one week. It is strange how it came about. I have a very good friend who's husband has been diagnosed with lung cancer
(the second time in three years) and he is now at Mayo hosp. getting radiation and chemo. Anyways, they were going to take this exchange student but then he was diagnosed again with cancer and their son asked if we knew anyone that could offer her a place for a week.

Well my husband and I thought "Why not" She is 17 yrs old and is from Germany and does speak very good English.Thank goodness for that lol. They said that she is very self-sufficient and is very polite. I told my husband we have to behave ourselves or he does lol.

Never having children (at least I have not as my husband has a daughter from a previous marriage) will be different but I am looking forward to it.

Just wanted to share this with my rls family and btw please keep my friend in your prayers that he does good and also that his wife is kept strong through all of this. Thanks.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Charlene that is awesome.
I just know you'll love having her there.
And I don't need to know, but LOL behave yourselves. Please! LOL
I just know that girl will know how to shop after her stay.
And I found this site for you to translate a few words if you wish!
German to English.
This page is for Welcome!
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=Dhr. ... h=h%F6chst

God Bless your friend and may he find remission again soon.
Love ya,
Lynne

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hey Charlene, that sounds fun! I have a 17 year old girl of my own, and they can be a lot of fun. 8) Teens are certainly different animals, though... She'll only be there a week, so you probably won't see her dark side. :wink:

Susan

ctravel12

foreign exchange student

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Lynne You are truly a wonderful and caring person.

Thanks for everything and hope that you are doing much better.

Take care my friend and thanks for the prayers for my friend and his wife they are very special to us and so are you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ctravel12

foreign exchange student

Post by ctravel12 »

Thanks Susan It will be a challenge for me especially never having children. I will let you all know how it went when she goes home.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Neco

Post by Neco »

This is all I have to say about kids.. Just be thankful she's already that old, haha

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Charlene! How wonderful!!! I know you'll really enjoy having her in your home and she couldn't BE in a better place than with you and your hubby!!! I'm anxious to hear all about it!!!!!!!!

Love
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Hiya Charlene. You're going to like having an exchange student. It's really cool to have someone from a different culture around.
Guess what? We've had a student since right after Christmas. Weird huh? He's a 16 yr. old Brazilian...Raphael (Raphy).

He was originally with another family, a kind of well to do bunch. They own a funeral home in Portage. Then some things went bad, the father is accused of some illegal money stuff...blah blah blah anyway it got real uncomfortable over there for him. He had been hanging around quite a bit with my son Caleb. Everytime he came over he'd bring Brazilian pop and I'd drink it all. Anyway, we told him he could stay with us for a while til they got this worked out and well....one thing led to another and he'll be here til July.

We like him. He's a good kid. My wife and daughter are in love with him and she won't let me walk around the house in my boxers anymore.

But it's really interesting talking to Raphy. I've learned a lot about Brazil. For instance a lot of Brazilians are NOT living in poverty like you see on TV. Raphy's family has a Gardener, a Cook, a Maid, and a Driver. He says that's pretty common there. He's definitely slumming it staying at our house. And, Brazil is about the same size as the US. Didja know that? And they don't eat much Mexican food, and most of them are thin. Raphy likes this area so much, he's looking to going to College in Chicago at...I think....Columbia? Maybe? Ann...sound right? Raphy is a really laid back and likeable kid. Like he doesn't have a care in the world. I don't know if it's the culture or just him.

Anyway.
Charlene, they couldn't have found anyone better to host that girl. I know you're going to really like her. If she's like Raphy, she'll be grateful to have a host and eager to help out and keep her stuff neat. It's a really good experience. You're going to have fun.

ctravel12

foreign exchange student

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey everyone thanks for all the positive posts. WAM love that your wife won't let you walk around in your boxer shorts lol. This group is so wonderful and you always make my day. Thanks for being there for me in good and bad days. Love you all.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

We've hosted several short stay exchange students and had a girl from Norway for a year. That was the most wonderful experience ever. But it just about killed all of us when she left. CT you will be great at this!! Thinking about your friends...please let them know this board is hoping for the best for them. Let us know how it goes.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ctravel12

foreign exchange student

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Rubyslipper (thanks for the compliment you are a sweetheart) Sara (foreign exchange student) arrived this afternoon. What a nice girl.

Thank you about my friends. They are in our prayers everynight. I will keep you all posted.

May not be on the board much this week. I may get a chance to sneak a peak in the am, if not I know you will all understand.

Love you all
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

You have a great time with Sara this week.
You can play here when she leaves.
Love ya and I hope this week is just a wonderful surprise at every turn.
Lynne

ctravel12

foreign exchange student

Post by ctravel12 »

Just one thing to tell everyone. I guess I need to have someone stay here alot as I actually cooked some meals ahead of time lol. I know we are going to enjoy her company. She is so polite and a sweet young lady.

Will miss talking to everyone, but know that you understand.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time