Strange feeling as if you are falling off something...

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
dipstick

Strange feeling as if you are falling off something...

Post by dipstick »

Does anyone else have this strange feeling.. just as I am drifting off to sleep I literally jerk up in the bed.. as if I am pulling myself back from falling over the edge of something. It is a very violent jerk.. and my heart is pounding from fright.

This has happened maybe once or twice a month all my life that I can remember... drives my husband mad as it always wakes him up.

Anyone else have it.. or have any idea what causes it.. and is it associated with RLS??

I have also always had sudden jerks, mainly of my legs.. none of the awful discomfort of RLS.. just out of the blue as I am drifting off to sleep.. one of my legs will kick and probably kick my husband too!! This has also been a regular ( fortnightly) occurrence all my life.

ctravel12

strange feeling as if you are falling off someting

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi dipstick. I looked at the mayo clinic algorithm and they stated "Restless Leg Syndrome is usually associated with involuntary contractions of the legs during sleep known as PLM (period limb movement) and this can also happen while you are awake.

I hope that this has answered your question and that you are doing much better.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Dipstick, those are called sleep starts or hypnic jerks. Lots of us have them, but the experts are just not sure why. I have much stronger ones on the Methadone than I hade before. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dipstick

Post by dipstick »

Thank you kindly for the info.. I looked it up on Wikipedia.. and now I can tell my husband I am perfectly normal.. and he is the wierdo who doesn't have it.. as 70% of people DOOOOOOOOOOO!!! tee hee!!