Relationship between Requip and Raynaud's Syndrome

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
mdeardorff

Relationship between Requip and Raynaud's Syndrome

Post by mdeardorff »

I am 48 years old and have had RLS since I was 21. I started taking Requip last September and it has been great. Shortly after starting Requip I started having numbness in my fingers and toes. The end of my fingers would lose feeling and turn white when I was exposed to cold. The numbness was diagnosed as Raynaud's Syndrome. My question to the group is "Has anyone else had a similar reaction to Requip or has anyone heard of a relationship between the two?"
Thanks,
Mike

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not that I know of.

I do have a possible theory - but, remember I'm not a doctor, nor I am trying to scare you. Just passing out some information that may or may not be helpful.

There is a relationship between autoimmune disorders. People who get one are more likely to get another. And, RLS is common with some autoimmune disorders. The one the pops up here the most is Celiac disease. Untreated, RLS is very common - something like 30-40% of those with untreated celiac have RLS. Celiac can have NO symptoms, some, or many. There are over 200 they have identified. Docs don't like to test for it, and the average time to diagnosis is 10 years or so.

Have you any gastro symptoms? Anemia? Odd neurological symptoms like tics? These are just a few of the many ways it can manifest.

Of course, you could just have Raynaud's without anything else. But it's probably worth checking this out just to be safe.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Eruckus

Post by Eruckus »

I was having numbness in my fingers as well, I never associated it with RLS until I read you. Something else to tell the doctor.

mdeardorff

Post by mdeardorff »

No, I have not had any other gastric or neurologic type disorders. As I described my symptons to my doctor, he immediately thought it was Raynaud's Syndrome, but acted it was no big deal as long as I could stand 15-20 minutes of numb fingers. During the warm spell in Februrary and March that we had, I had no numbness. With the recent cold spell, I have had it reoccur. I'll look into Celiac disease. I have never heard of it.
Thanks,
Mike

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Most docs immediately think that without gastric upset issues that you can't have celiac. But, a large percentage of celiacs are silent sufferers - no symptoms, but still causing damage to the body.

Chances are not high that you it. . .but, since RLS is a very common symptoms of undiagnosed celiac AND autoimmune disorders often run together, it's worth checking into. I doubt, however, you'll get a doctor to test you unless you have some symptoms. Docs are about as uneducated about celiac (until recently thought to be uncommon, but now known to affect 1 in 150) as they are about RLS. :shock:

Ooooo, I get mad when I here docs just blow away things like the numb fingers. Didn't it occur to them that it might, just might, feel a little scary to the person who has it??????

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mdeardorff

Post by mdeardorff »

I know it sure scared the heck out of me when my fingers went numb the second time. I shook off the first time as being nothing, but when it happened the following day, I started thinking of problems like stroke and other bad things.

waterloo2

REQUIP

Post by waterloo2 »

HI ALL

COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS
REQUIP IVE NEVER HEARD OF IT.

GILL (UK)

Hopscotch

Post by Hopscotch »

I don't take Requip, but I have been diagnosed with Raynaud's phenomenon.
It's pretty wierd when it happens, I get it in my toes and fingers. I find than by washing my hands in warm water,and use a hot air dryer (at work) to dry my hands, shortens the length of the episode.
My feet I just suffer through. An episode for me generally lasts anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour.
Last edited by Hopscotch on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ctravel12

relationship between requip and Raynaud's syndrome

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Gill Requip is a dopamine agonist and is used for Parkinson's disease. I know that it has been FDA approved for rls but not too sure when. The generic name for requip is ropinirole hydrochloride. I am not a dr nor have any medical background just looked this info up on the internet.

I hope that this helps you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Gill, since you are in the UK, the names of some of the drugs that people mention here are different for you. I'm not sure if Requip is one of those drugs that goes by a different name.

I wonder if the following sites might have more information specific to RLS for you, GIll.

http://www.restlesslegs.org.uk/about_rls.html

http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/booths/RLS.html

Both of those are European sites that are listed in the New to RLS sticky post on managing RLS. These may provide lists of the medications that are used in Europe or even local support groups information for you, Gill.

Managing Your RLS

mdeardorff

Reynaud's Syndrome

Post by mdeardorff »

When my fingers went numb the second time I was scared also. Fortunately, I already had a doctor checkup scheduled for a few days later. I have not had an episode of numbness this summer except for the time I was holding a very cold beverage for too long. I am not looking forward to Winter.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Gill, I am also in the UK, and my GP prescribed Requip (ropinerole) for me. I have been taking it for 9 months so far.

Betty

Summer

Post by Summer »

I have had Renogs for 15-ishyears. RLS much after (past yr "diagonosed"). However, for the past 1 1/2 mos. my fingers have been numb/tingly (w/o the pain of renogs, which happens w/cold, so I dissaociate the two) and my toes are now starting to go numb. I am starting to think it is the requip. Any connection that anyone knows?