re hubby's angiogram

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
ctravel12

re hubby's angiogram

Post by ctravel12 »

My husband had his angiogram today and did not need a stent; however it was not good as he has to have either a triple or quadtriple (sp) by-pass. We are going into Phoenix to have it done. I did my fair share of crying but not in front of him. Did not want to upset him anymore than he is.

Needless to say we were both in shocked, but for some odd reasons we both felt that he was going to have a by-pass but did not say anything to each other as did not want to worry the other one, but certainly did not expect to hear this.

The dr showed me the reports on the computer and said that he has a few arteries that were completely blocked. I asked him if a heart attack was inevitable (sp) and he said yes definitely. We live in a small community and they just started doing heart surgeries and so far has only done about 30-35 in the last year so we definitely opted for going to Good Samaritan in Phoenix.

For the past few weeks my husband complained of always being so tired and neither one of us put two and two together.

The dr's office in town is setting up the appt in Phoenix and when they know the exact dates will get back to me. They are trying to get something done asap.

Please, please keep him in your prayers. They are needed in a big way.

Thank you so much as I know that I can depend on my rls family.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Charlene,
I can't say I'm sorry they found it, better now, than to have the heart attack and find it.

I'm sorry if that sound harsh, but an attack can damage the muscle. So this is good that they have found it before this happens.

I know it is scary, I have walked and am, walking that path myself. Do not think you can't be scared, cry, or any of that.......It's an honest reaction.
I know that my husband and I didn't talk about his open heart for a while after the date was set. Like it wasn't there, not real.

In time you'll both need to voice your fears and just charge along with them. Meaning, you can't not be scared, but it's just one feeling. You can be scared and strong too.

I love you and I hope you know that my prayers are with you and your husband.

Don't you think for a second that you can't come here and just yell your fingers off. You can and honey, we're here for you, the way you've been here for us.

You do yourself a favor and let your RLS doc know ahead of time in case your legs flare up. Maybe he can make sure you are able to take care of yourself while this is going on. It made a world of difference to me when we went through the surgery. I was able to stay with my husband the whole time, day and night.

God Blessings to you both!

The moon is full of our prayers for you both.
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think Lynne said it very eloquently. At least you know and have an opportunity to fix it.

Aging sure isn't much fun (in this regard) is it? I love getting older from a psychological perspective and a spiritual one. . .but the physicial one? :(
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

regarding hubby's angiogram

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Lynne What you said is so true and it did not sound harsh. I would definitely have them find it this way instead of him having a major heart attack. The one good thing he has going for him is that he does not have any heart damage which is definitely a plus.

Ann that is so true what you said about aging. I do not mind getting old, it's you know what that goes along with it. I have to count my blessings as God has been good to me and my husband.

The dr's office from Phoenix should be calling us tomorrow as they will have the report (the dr's office here is sending it overnight). The tech lab closed at 2:30 pm so they will fed ex the lab rep tomorrow and will have it by Friday. We may have an answer either tomorrow or Friday when they can do the surgery.

Thanks again for everything and also for being there for me or should I say us. Love you guys.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Hi Charlene.
My Dad had a Triple Bypass done when he was 61. He's going to be 77 this year and has never had another problem with his ticker. He looks young and usually feels better than I do.

You must have heard lots of other success stories by now, but one more won't hurt anything right?

ctravel12

regarding hubby's angiogram

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey WAM thanks for the great news. I just know he will do fine. We will just be glad when we know the date of surgery. Thanks again. You guys are just super. Love you all.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

God bless you Charlene, life is just so hard sometimes. But like Lynne said, better to find out this way, then to find out after a heart attack. You and your dh will be in my prayers.

I know that heart bypass is a scary surgery, but nowadays it is almost routine. I remember the old days when it was much riskier and scarier. It's good you're going to the hospital that has more experience. Always best to choose the most skilled surgeons.

Be sure and take care of yourself. You can't take care of him unless you are taking care of yourself. Be sure and spend time doing some that nurtures you every day. Take some deep breaths and try to relax.

We're here for you sweetie.

Susan

KBear

Post by KBear »

Sending prayers your way.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

ctravel12

re hubby's angiogam

Post by ctravel12 »

Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers that you are saying for my dh.

Susan, you are so right. I do have to take care of myself otherwise I will not be any good for him nor myself.

Susan, I wanted you to know when hubby was up getting is angiogram I did go to the cafeteria and got myself the BIGGEST apple turnover and ate it. It was absolutely deeeeeeeeelicous.

Thanks.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I'm sorry I'm late in answering this. Lynne said it so well! Better to know now than when damage has been done!!!

My mother-in-law had a triple bypass when she was in her late 70's and did absolutely great!!! I know it's a shock, honey. And, as Anne said, growing older isn't that great! The golden years--HA! But, with advances in medical science and advances in bypass surgery, he has such a great chance of being fine and living life to the fullest!

You take care, honey----watch out for yourself!!

I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your hubby. Life doesn't always seem fair---

Love you!!
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ctravel12

re hubby's angiogram

Post by ctravel12 »

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Denny heard from the dr's office today and the surgery is scheduled for Tues, June 5th at 7:30 am

We will be leaving here on Sunday, June 3rd as he has to be at the dr's office at 12 noon Monday, June 4th. I will keep you all updated on how he is doing.

He will most likely be in the hospital for 5-7 days. My sister and brother-in-law will becoming down Monday afternoon as she does not want me to by myself during his surgery.

Thanks for all of your prayers.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

I'm glad that you got the date so soon.

Even better that you'll have family with you.

We'll be praying and sending every good thought your way.

Love Lynne

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Charlene, everyone will be thinking and praying for you. Love to you!!!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ctravel12

re hubby's angiogram

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jan and thanks for the nice post. This is a wonderful family and know all will be praying for us. Denny is in pretty good spirits. His sister and brother-in-law came for a visit this past week and that was good. We had alot of laughs. I asked hubby if he was nervous and he said not now but will probably be the day of the surgery. I guess so!!!!!

We will be leaving Sunday as he has to be at the hospital Monday at 9:30 am for a pulmonary test, b/w and other tests. He will be meeting the dr at 12 noon and then has to be at the hospital at 4:30 am Tuesday and surgery will be at 7:30 am.

I will keep you all updated and thanks for all the prayers.

We all have to remember also that Jeannie is getting her surgery today. I said a prayer for her this morning when I woke up. I hope all goes well for her too.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

dellkr

Post by dellkr »

Charlene, we too will be thinking about you.. My husband had a heart attack 16 months ago at the age of 46. The night before, he had just played an indoor soccer game. His cholesteral was out of control and the doc was doing a poor job of monitoring it (not doing a fasting levels...only direct draw). Nearly killed him. I'm so glad your hubby was able to get the surgery so quickly...the recovery time amazes me now after heart surgery (2 stents immediately after the heart attack and another one 6 months later).

Take care and let us know how it goes when you can!
Kim