Young children with a mother suffering RLS

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
Bettina

Young children with a mother suffering RLS

Post by Bettina »

During pregnancy my rls disappeared just to show up after the baby was born, I needed to breastfed her sitting in a chair and the rls worsen, it was very hard for me, and know after 3 years I feel so tired becaus in these years I needed to take care of her, you know, the usual things for babies they wake up during the nicht so besides my rls i needed to cope with that i'm always tired! do anyone have any tips? I live in italy.[/b] :?:

becat

Post by becat »

Welcome Bettina,

I know where your standing or walking in, I should say.
My own children were a bit older, 6yrs old, when my RLS went through the roof.
I can see looking back on it now, they are almost 20, I should have gotten help so much sooner.

So:
1. Your not alone, come here and vent! let it out when you feel crazy and we know your not. We'll hug you as much as you need.

2. Start here for information you can easily print out to take to your doctor.
http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068

Chances are that most docs are clueless how to treat your problem. So educate yourself well and you'll be able to educate your doc.
One of the things you'll need is the RLS Algorithum........
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

it's a pdf file you could print if you wanted to. I didn't tell you to, as I think they want money for those copies. But......

:wink:

3. Start with a doctor that knows you. Make an appt now......don't wait, see someone and get this process started.

4. Ask for help with your kids. Trusted family, friends,
or hired (if you can) a babysitter for an hour or two once or twice a week. Pick a time when you know you can rest. Whatever part of the day that is.
Maybe there is a place for a mother's day out, some of our local churches here do that. Good care, but affordable.

You have to let someone know that you need the help or you need the rest.....it's not an easy conversation, I know. However, if you aren't taken care of, your kids won't be. I don't mean that in a horrible way, but just like if you had surgery, someone would help you. You need some time to recoup. At one time, family was close enough to do that for each other. I was not that lucky, but I hope you are. If not, do you have a trusted friend that could help out long enough for a nap.....?

From my own experiences, the sleep deprivation alone is enough to make silly mistake with little ones. I would fall asleep and not get to school on time to pick the kids up, thankfully I had 3 good friends that I trusted. I explained that I never slept and often would just fall out without notice after a long stretch of not sleeping without notice.

5. Big One Here!!!!!!! Don't think that everything has to be done today. Enjoy the nap time, make everyone take one. Don't overload your body or brain to do things that won't make a bit of difference in the long run. If you only have the energy to take care of the kids, do only that. And I know this is so hard, but enjoy those silly moments that you can have with the little ones.

Go to the doc and let him or her know your struggling. No woman is a superwoman, your not the only one to ask for help. I wish I had years before I did. I finally took my husband with me to the appt....he made sure my doc understood that my story was true and I really needed the help.
Don't forget that we are here with you.
God Bless.
Lynne

ctravel12

young children with a mother suffering rls

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Bettina and welcome to this group. I do not have any children but what Lynne says is so true.

Bettina go to the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" there is a good article from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. Also another good site is www.rlshelp.org

I hope that you get the sleep that you desperately need. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

You have found an excellent and supportive group.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time