new around here!

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
pricetag

new around here!

Post by pricetag »

I have had RLS ever since I was a kid. I just never knew anyone else had it. I have tried everything a lot of you said -- I would tie rags around my legs really tight for compression, use the heating pad, beat on my legs, lots of Advil.

Now I take Mirapex only because the doctor prescribed it for my son and his is better. My spouse and I permanently went to separate beds several years ago. I don't even sleep in the bed much - go from couch to bed to computer to couch again, and then try and work the next day without making too many mistakes or being too crabby. I have taught myself to be hyper-alert on my job to compensate for the lack of sleep.

But I've noticed this summer is especially bad. My life has become a revolving door of trying to sleep and suffer through the day so I can go home.

What's the most worrisome to me though is that it's no longer about icky sensations, it's just straight out pain. A year or two ago it moved into my forearms and then the entire arm.

Thanks for listening. I will continue to watch your posts. By the way, why are people taking Clonzepam (sp?) in addition to Mirapex and what is Requip? thanks

ctravel12

new around here

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi pricetag and welcome again. I welcome you in a previous forum. I am so sorry about your rls, but you have found an excellent support group.

Are you still taking mirapex and what is the mg? I hear some members say that summer makes it worse because of the heat. You also said that you have pain. Reason for asking what mg of mirapex you are taking and how long you took it, you could be augmenting (having rls anytime of the day or night.

I take clonazapem and it is an anti-seizure med and can be used for rls and it does help me. As far as mirapex and requip. Mirapex works longer in the body than requip. I took requip and it did not agree with me. One thing to remember is what works for one may not always work for another person. Sometiimes you may have to try a cocktail of meds to see what will work for you.

Please look on the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" as Mayo Clinic Algorithm has an excellent article. Another good site is www.rlshelp.org

There are also some sticky posts on Mirapex and Requip that you can read and will answer some of your questions.

I hope that this was of some help to you.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I welcome you, too.

There is so much new terminology to learn to be able to understand what the heck we are all talking about, isn't there? Try starting here in This Post

If you can wade through that, you'll have a good idea about what we take, when and why. Make sure you click on the link within that post to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. This will explain all the drugs, the classes, etc.

Clonazapam is a benzodiazepene - this class of meds is used for many things. It's in the same class as Valium. This class seems to work for some of us - but not all.

Requip is a dopamine agonist, just like Mirapex. It works similarly.

Just my bias, but to get the best care you can, you truly need to learn about these meds as much as you can. The link I included is so important because so many of our docs aren't as educated as we'd like.

One last thought - if you are taking Mirapex and things are worse, it may be the Mirapex causing it. Not to alarm you, but please also read This Thread, specifically the 3rd or 4th post in it about augmentation.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.