Beds

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
SquirmingSusan

Beds

Post by SquirmingSusan »

The last night of our vacation, we stayed at a motel with really, really comfortable mattresses. And they absorbed shock so that bed partners weren't disturbed by each other's movements. In fact, my son, who had been bouncing all over the beds in the last place (and even bounced off onto the floor), dove onto the bed and didn't bounce at all.

So we looked at the mattresses. They were Simmons Beautyrest "Do Not Disturb" models.

I've been looking at them online, and they seem to be significantly cheaper than the Temperpedic mattresses, and they really did isolate motion well.

I just wanted to post about them in case anyone is looking for a bed in which you won't drive your partner crazy, and can't afford a Temperpedic or other memory foam bed.
Susan

ctravel12

beds

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Susan This is not about beds, but wanted to say welcome back and glad that you had a wonderful vacation. It is nice to see you posting again. Have a good day.

BTW the info on the beds did sound wonderful. I will have to check that out. Thanks.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Susan, I had a similar experience one time while in San Diego - client paid to put me up at a cushy hotel, nice suite, had a small deck to go out on each morning, etc.

The first night, I thought I'd gone to heaven!!!!! The whole week I was there was fantabulous.

But, alas, it wasn't cheap. They did sell them, can't remember what hotel chain, but they were some special sleep beds. A queen set at the time was like $3000 - oh, I think they were called the Heavenly Bed. . . .

Glad you had such a luxurious sleep.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I think these run about $1000-$1500 for a queen set. It's still more than a lot of mattress sets, but not that bad. Especially when you consider how difficult it is for us RLS people to sleep. :D This was at a cheaper motel, too, called the Vagabond Inn.

Rebecca and I stayed at the Sofitel the first 3 nights too, and you can buy their beds also, but their beds weren't as comfy.

Thanks for the welcome back, Charlene. :D
Susan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

We were at Ikea today, and were lying on the different mattresses. They had one that was oh, so comfy. It had pocket springs and memory foam, so it should have good shock absorption. Queen size was $399; no foundation included, so you could keep what you already have.

Next time my air mattress blows, I know what I'm getting. :)
Susan

sherjo

Beds

Post by sherjo »

Hi from NZ. We too have just bought a new bed. It's a Simmons. We have noticed a huge difference and the sleep we have been getting is wonderful. Very refreshing and deep sleep. It's amazing what a difference a mattress can make.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I did get the bed from Ikea. It was $400 for the top mattress alone, since I already have a cheap box spring. It has "active pocket springs" like the Simmons beds to isolate motion, and has various layers of foam and memory foam. It's very comfy, and is a lot like the motel mattress that was so nice.

My son did the "dive on it and try to bound" test and barely bounced at all. Remember he did that on a motel bed and bounced right up in the air and onto the floor. :lol:

It's "very firm" support, but it's also very soft and I do just sink into it. I have a memory foam topper on it.

Just putting that information out there so people know about options for beds that won't drive your bedmate crazy when you kick.
Susan

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

We ended up buying a king-size bed, individual pocket springs, and a layer of memory foam. It is working well for us; my husband no longer complains about my movements. Now if only it would do something about his snoring :lol:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Earplugs.
:wink:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

We have a sleep number bed. We love it. Just upgraded after 10 years with the older style pump, but same type "air" bed. This new one has a pillow top with a layer of memory foam inside of it.

When DH had shoulder surgery, we had to switch sides of the bed, and he slept with pillows in between us to protect himself from me while we slept.
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"