Chairs to Sit on in the Evening

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
pamhb

Chairs to Sit on in the Evening

Post by pamhb »

Years ago (when this forum was actually an email list), we got into a discussion as to how chairs that tip you back slightly so that your hips are lower than your knees, will trigger RLS. I've found that to be very true over the years, especially in the evening. Now, however, it's reached the point with me that any kind of chair will trigger my RLS in the evening, and it seems to be related to having pressure on the back of my thighs in addition to the slant of the chair. So there I am, watching TV perched on the edge of my bed. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a satisfactory chair? I'm thinking about a saddle chair, but they're pretty butt ugly. A kneeling chair also looks like a possibility.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi P, Can't say that I have that problem. Actually, when I lay on the couch I actually place by feet up on the back rest of the couch and that (feet/legs) much higher than the hips) makes the legs feel better. Strange thing we have, huh. Best wishes.

M>
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

Perhaps what triggers it is the pressure on the back of the leg, rather than the incline of the chair. It used be be that certain chairs would drive me crazy (the ones with a slight incline back), but now all chairs do it to me in the evening. I perch way forward on them so that I just have my butt on the chair, and not any part of my legs.

I've also considered sitting on an exercise ball in the evening for the same reason -- no pressure on the legs, just on the butt. Good core workout as well.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Pam do not know if I welcomed you to the board, if not, welcome and glad that you found this board.

You talked about the exercise ball. When I was having a rough time with my rls, I would sit on that and bounce up and down and believe it or not it did help the symptoms for the time being but once stopped they would come back. Oh well could not keep it up forever that is for sure. LOL.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

Do ya'll remember thos rubber balls we used to have as kids that had the handle on them? You sat with the handle on top, held on and bounced your little heart out. Those were so cool!

Cyndi
Even when we are by ourselves, we are never truly alone.

My motto: It's MY pitty-party and I'll vent if I want to.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Cyn remember I am too young to remember LOL. Or should I say too
LOL
Love ya
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

It's definintely "too" . . . but I'll bet Lora remembers all of it! She's the bomb!

Love ya, Char,
Cyn
Even when we are by ourselves, we are never truly alone.

My motto: It's MY pitty-party and I'll vent if I want to.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Love it and Lora is a crazy just like us that is why we all get along so well.

Have a nice evening and take care of yourself.

Love ya too Cyn
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

cmoore1958 wrote:Do ya'll remember thos rubber balls we used to have as kids that had the handle on them? You sat with the handle on top, held on and bounced your little heart out. Those were so cool!

Cyndi

Yes, I love those! My kids had some when they were young and we "adults" used to steal them. They make them in a size that's big enough for me, and it's on my list of things to get when I have the extra money.

Meanwhile, I have hammock chairs hanging from the oak trees in front of our house, and I had my dh put big springs in them. They're like big "Johnny Jump ups."

Otherwise, I don't sit in chairs. I prop myself up in bed with pillows when I'm working on the computer. Ever since my back surgeries, it just hurts too much to sit in any kind of chair. I'm either moving or half lying down. There's nothing in between.
Susan

doety

Post by doety »

We must seem like a strange lot to most people. I can't sit in chairs either (at night, sometimes during the day). I've realized that as my RLS has gotten more persistent, I'm reading so much less -- something I used to do all the time. But it takes a lot of sitting and I sort of use up the sitting time working on the computer. At night, my husband likes to watch movies, and the only way I can do that is to lay on my stomach. Then when I get into bed, I lay on my stomach and try to read (which usually doesn't last long). I remember using one of those fit-balls at work, and it does help while you're doing it.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Well, if it's any consolation, my dh sits on a fitness ball at work and he doesn't have RLS.
Susan

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

chairs...yes chairs can be a problem i find if i sink down into one my rls is worse. Mostly i like to sit with my knees level so i can move my legs easily and get rid of the feelings.
I also cant sleep in a camp bed it drives me mad

I remember the "space hoppers" thats what we called them I had a blue one and called it "granpa hopper" ...well i was only twelve

boing boing boing

moonlight x :P
sleep is not only a dream

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

I ended up buying a zafu buckwheat cushion (it's a yoga cushion for sitting), which I put on the seat of a stool. I push the buckwheat to the back of the cushion to create an angle, so that my butt is higher than my thighs. I then sit so that the backs of my legs aren't touching anything on the stool. Seems to work OK for most evenings!

The thing for me seems to be making certain that I'm sitting at that angle, and that I'm only resting on my butt. There are also yoga chairs that intrigue me, because they accomplish much the same thing.

http://www.zafu.net/zenoffice.html

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

We recently bought some bungee chairs from IKEA on clearance. Except for the cords cutting into the flesh after sitting on them too long, those are the most comfortable chairs ever. I'm definitely a bouncer. I really do need to get me one of those Hop 66 balls.
Susan

eliza

Post by eliza »

Has anyone ever tried one of those "back chairs" for RLS? My son had one after back surgery - it was the only thing he could sit on. It puts the weight on your shins and rear. They're also supposed to be very good for the muscles in your back. I didn't have RLS back then so I don't know if it would help or not.

Here's a link to a picture. I am not selling these and have no idea about this provider - it was just the first picture I could find on the Internet. http://www.sitincomfort.com/kneechairs.html

For me, I always prop my feet up in the evening - and it works best to get them high enough so the back of my legs aren't on the chair. If I can, I'll even find a row of empty seats in a movie theater and put my feet up there. I'm sure I look like I'm making myself quite at home.

(Fortunately, son is great now - even plays basketball)

Eliza :- )
Last edited by eliza on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.