Marriage and Sanity out the window

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
Victoriatn

Marriage and Sanity out the window

Post by Victoriatn »

I have periodic limb movement disorder, which always seems to lead back to RLS , I am currently doubling my dose of carbidopa/levo which the doctor suggested since one dose was not enough. I have had this problem for years but am now at a point where it is terribly effecting my sanity and my marriage, my husband has a hard time sleeping in bed because he is afraid if I get to sleep that he may wake me up. I sleep very little, it goes back and forth a good night here, two weeks of maybe 10 hours sleep. It drives me crazy and this medicine is doing nothing. I am snappy at my family, I am constantly down because I am so tired but have a 1 year old that I have to keep up with. I never take naps during the day, even if I wanted I am not structured that way. If Anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I go back to my doctor in two weeks, and want to try something else.. Thanks

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Victoriatn,

Many of us know a lot about the spouse thing :( . RLS and PLMD are truly unruly bedfellows. I'm sure someone else will have some suggestions, too, but here are few of mine.

Get a sleep study. Until you know how much you're moving around, the doctors are less likely to take it seriously. When they see how little you sleep and how disrupted it is, you may get more help.

Get a sleep doctor. I used to think a neuro was better, and maybe it is for RLS, but I now think a sleep doc is better for PLMD.

There are MANY better drugs than carbidopa/levadopa for RLS and PLMD. It was one of the only drugs 15 years ago, but now there are better choices.

Go to the http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549 thread and look up lots of info: an algorithm to give your doctor, articles for your doctor, a wesite where you can see all the meds used to treat RLS and how they work, etc. This information is really important for your sanity, to make sure you get the help you need and to help others help you.

I hope it gets better soon. We ended up with a new mattress a few months ago when my RLS and PLMD were out of control for awhile. It's one of those memory foam ones. It helps ensure he doesn't get bothered by me or I get awaked by him coming to bed at a different time. It made a huge difference in our ability to cope.

Ann

bradyferguson

Post by bradyferguson »

bye
Last edited by bradyferguson on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umpwidow

Post by umpwidow »

Hi Victoria,

I have both RLS and PLMD, and I find that the Requip which is the same class of drug as mirapex works to conrol my RLS symptoms (shaking, crawling, twitching, needing to move) but it doesn't take care of the PLMD. I take klonopin for the PLMD and it works like a charm. I'm finally sleeping well.

Good luck to you.

Jamie

becat

Hi and Welcome

Post by becat »

Hi to you all and welcome Victoriatn.
This issue about spouses and partners not understanding is a popular one. It's important for you to talk to him and explain as best as possible. I am lucky to have a supportive husband. He's very protective of my sleep when I get it. That is not to say he fully understands........but we do around here. I did find that taking my hubby to my doctor's appt. help us both. He could ask questions, back up my side of the story, and help push for the help WE needed. I know you how you feel about losing the sanity, but it doesn't have to cost you a marriage.
You must be so tired, a 1 yr. old and no sleep. My babies wore me out and I was a mild RLSer way back then......my advice with the baby is find a Mother's Day out program, a trusted family member, a trusted friend to give you one morning or afternoon for some YOU time. If at all possible do this once a week. If you take a nap great, if not, it's still some time to soak in a hot bath, ETC.
About your medications not working. Your doc needs to know and if you have to push for a faster appt.. Ann, is right educate yourself about treatments. There are choices. The education about RLS is a key to good treatment. You'll know better about your body than anyone else and what your main issues are. Take those issues to the doctor and say them frankly.
If it's sleep....say it
If it's pain......tell him or her that.
Try to be specific when you talk to the doctor. You may have collectively gotten to a point that something has to change. Make it happen. Doctors seemingly respond better to specifics. It's easier for you to fight for those issues if you have a good direction.
Your quality of life now involves you, your husband, and a baby. You deserve a good Q of L too. You may feel down, but your not out. You have found us and support is at the ready. Talking here does help. There is normally someone that just where you are and how you feel.
We learn from one another around here. Ask if you have a question. Post if you have a comment. It's A great bunch of people here. Glad to have you.

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

bradyferguson wrote:bye
Why are you saying bye if you want to leave then leave. Good bye to you too. But if you have something to say then spit it out. Otherwise good luck to you my dear.
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!