Lonliness

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
badnights

Re: Lonliness

Post by badnights »

:lol: love it, Pam.
I had my hair colored shades of blue twice and green once. It didn't ever turn out as I wanted, but I got compliments on both of the blue ones! And it was necessary to try :D
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Pam ..... I want your glasses !!!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

yawny

Post by yawny »

Betty, another vote for putting a streak in your hair. Or many streaks! Maybe we all should???

As far as glasses go, I have many because I have horrible eyesight. But a few years back I decided to make the most of it and whenever I get a new pair I go bold in some way. My favorite is a cat eye shape with glitter sparkles. They once got me a free cookie! The unplanned benefit of the bold glasses is it distracts from the sleepy, tired eyes. Oh, and wrinkles.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

OK, my bold glasses are not as bold as I thought, lol! I think I spent too long in corporate environs. I told my hair stylist I wanted something more bold and fun and not the corporate bob I'd had for too long. I think she added two layers....she totally did not believe me. I went to a new stylist and he did much better, but it is still so safe!

Time to explode those boundaries! Glitter, streaks, and more!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

'Exploding the boundaries'

I am definitely going to remember that phrase.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I had had simple gold framed glasses for years and while they are fine for younger people I thought I'd get something more daring when I got my last prescription. Not too daring as glasses go but an olive gray frame with a definite "eyeglass" shape. I thought I looked modern when my sister, on FaceTime, said they looked just like our mom's looked. I still like them though.
As far as hair coloring, many decades ago I put a henna rinse on my hair and worried I'd look like Lucille Ball but after washing it out I couldn't even tell. That's about as daring as I ever got with hair coloring. It was always enough money but no time and now it's plenty of time but no money.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've gone and done it. :roll: Love it. Hair is worn asymmetric, longer on one side. The longer side and slanted long fringe is now woven with violet i.e. It's not solid but plenty of it. It took about 7 foils/meshes.

Dh comment (without solicitation) was..... That's dead on.... High praise indeed. My fear is of mutton trying to look like lamb but dh would soon tell me.

Many years ago (50 years ago) I went too dark on a home colour which was supposed to last six washes. On the one night I washed and washed my hair, at least six times. My scalp was right as a drum but dang the colour washed out. Next morning I phoned into work sick and was on the doorstep of a shop, (wrapped in a headscarf) at 9am to buy colour remover.

Who dares wins..... :thumbup:
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

Love it. The way it looks in my mind's eye, anyway. You've inspired me. I go to a different hairdresser now, maybe this time the color will be something I like. I'm going to do it again.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

legsbestill wrote:And your husband is no doubt some sort of consolation - a good one can be almost as rewarding as a loyal pet!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And vice-versa [this IS the loneliness forum, after all!] :D

How did I miss that gem of a quote before?!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

badnights - how I wish we had photographs :)
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I love this place...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

leggo_my_legs wrote:How did I miss that gem of a quote before?!

LOL, Legsbestill has a special way with words for sure!

Betty, your hair sounds lovely! Also, loved your description of the entire process. You too have a way with words...is that something in the Irish water?!

Love everyone's stories...

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you yawny - I was a little concerned that the thread was drifting a little too far from loneliness. But then thought...... isn't a good chat and a bit of fun a little of an antidote to loneliness.

The Irish water ?? don't know, a culture thing maybe, and of course Legs is also on the island of Ireland :)
Sometimes I kind of talk too much and of course here in N.I. we also speak very quickly especially on the east coast where we are mostly Ulster Scots :)
When abroad I am often mistaken as being from Scotland. It's only 12 miles across the sea.
Betty

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

PB, one of my hobbies is genealogy and my personal family lines include both highland Scots and what is called Scots-Irish in the US and Ulster Scots in the UK. The Scots-Irish had a huge impact on shaping the US. After the American Revolution, a British officer reported to Parliament that it wasn't a revolution of the colonies so much as it was a "Irish Protestant" revolution. Most of the Scots-Irish ended up in Pennsylvania, where they were instrumental in developing the American steel industry. Many others ended up in the mountains of the South. The Scots-Irish had an overly large impact on the culture and traditions of the South, including the accent that many describe as the Southern drawl. I should also point out that researchers have traced the background of 17 (of 46) different US Presidents to the Ulster area, which over-represents the percentage of the overall population.
Steve

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It's often said here as a bit of fun that most folks find themselves with a historical family connection to Ireland.

It beggars belief when you look at a map of the world, see how big is the USA, Canada, Australia and see just how tiny the island of Ireland is, and even more so how small Ulster is. (The province of Ulster is 9 Counties, 3 of which are in the Republic of Ireland, the other 6 are in Northern Ireland).

I haven't heard before about the impact on the Southern drawl - I love the Southern drawl, so I've spent an hour looking across the internet, really interesting. A few years ago we spent a month in Arkansas and Memphis, now I know why we liked it so much and felt so at home.
I found this link about our Ulster Accent which I love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9SApeProCY

This link is to the cottage of Andrew Jackson US President, it's sited almost within walking distance.
https://www.inyourpocket.com/belfast/an ... tre_28562v
Betty