World War III - I pushed the button

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
EeFall

Re: World War III - I pushed the button

Postby EeFall » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Chipmunk wrote:
EeFall wrote:Yeah, the movie theater is a treacherous place for someone with severe RLS. We did successfully see Oz, the Great and Powerful at the theater several months ago, I must have had a good day. The reality is that we raise them and then they are on their own (if we are successful :D ). My dad left my mother, 6 months pregnant, me at age 8, and my 14 year old brother to fend for ourselves as he found a girlfriend half my mom's age.

That must have been devastating. My daughter is 8 right now and I can't imagine what that would do to her. :( My husband's dad left when he was around the same age, and it profoundly affected him.

I wish I could say it didn't mess me up but even now, 50 years later, it messes with me. It is nice to say "get over it" but the reality is that it is a singularity (like a black hole), that I can't escape and I filter all life events around it.

badnights

Postby badnights » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I often wonder if my mother had known how some of the things she was doing would affect me and my siblings when we were older, would she have managed to be able to prevent herself from doing them? I think so. I think now, after years of being resentful and critical, that she was just doing her best with what equipment she had. That helps me accept the fallout, but I am not sure if it reduces the impact of the fallout. Perhaps.

It was interesting to see that my children were coming to the same sort of acceptance regarding me, about two decades sooner than I did. Much smarter than me.
Beth - Wishing you all restful sleep tonight
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:15 pm

badnights wrote:I often wonder if my mother had known how some of the things she was doing would affect me and my siblings when we were older, would she have managed to be able to prevent herself from doing them? I think so. I think now, after years of being resentful and critical, that she was just doing her best with what equipment she had. That helps me accept the fallout, but I am not sure if it reduces the impact of the fallout. Perhaps.

It was interesting to see that my children were coming to the same sort of acceptance regarding me, about two decades sooner than I did. Much smarter than me.

She either had an inkling but couldn't find a way out or she was completely unaware. I have to believe, as a survivor of abuse, that very, very few parents wake up in the morning and say, 'Gee, what can I do today to screw up my kids?" They are either self absorbed and can't see it, they are not in control in important ways (such as an alcoholic or codependent or mental illness), they are not educated enough, and so on. Those that are self-absorbed can cause a lot of damage, but they still didn't do it intentionally. There are likely some that do it deliberately. Hopefully they don't procreate often.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Postby badnights » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am

There are likely some that do it deliberately. Hopefully they don't procreate often.
Amen!
Beth - Wishing you all restful sleep tonight
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

Polar Bear

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:12 pm

ditto !!
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Return to “Help for Relationships”