2007 Forum Avatars - Details

Click here for general information on how to best use this site, navigate, search, etc.
SquirmingSusan

2007 Forum Avatars - Details

Post by SquirmingSusan »

We moderators have been discussing allowing the use of Avatars in this forum. They are supported by the message board software and just need to be turned on. I have put one up for myself so that you can see what they are. People usually post a picture of themselves or a pet or a something that is meaningful to them. Obviously, rules of good taste would apply and we will not allow people to post pictures that are obscene or offensive to others.

Does anyone have any objections to turning on this feature? Would you like to be able to post Avatars? I (Susan) will be available for technical assistance in case you have problems posting them.

Please do not add any avatars until consensus is reaches regarding forum use.

Thank you.
Last edited by SquirmingSusan on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susan

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

I think it's a great idea. Being new here, i was actually going to enquire why this feature was not enabled as u see avatars used in most forums around the net.

What would be the size requirement? On most other forums i find the minimum is usually 60 x 60. I have one already to go that i have used for years on another forum i moderate on but it's animated so hopefully these would be allowed too. :)

I also noticed your board software is out of date. If i may, i'd like to suggest updating to phpBB 2.0.22 which has been out for almost a year as using an old application could be a security risk.

snowbound

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks Snowbound. Yes, we realized the software is out of date. :( Problem is there is no one at the foundation who is technical, and the forum is hosted off-site and we would have to pay to have it upgraded. We are talking about adding modules that would lower the number of spammers trying to register, but perhaps we could discuss just upgrading and seeing if that helps.

The Avatar size is 80x80, but I found that I had to reduce mine to 60x60 to get under the 6mb limit. Actually it wouldn't load mine, so I posted it remotely at my website. Which is what I will do for others, IF WE DECIDE TO ACTIVATE THIS FEATURE. Obviously, I would like to see that happen. :wink:

Animated is OK. Just don't post something that is in bad taste. If people want to not look at the Avatars (or other images), they can usually be blocked by a right click of the mouse and selecting "block image."
Susan

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

SquirmingSusan wrote: Problem is there is no one at the foundation who is technical, and the forum is hosted off-site and we would have to pay to have it upgraded.

I know someone who is qualified so if u give me the word, i'll ask them and see if i get u some help with this. :)

Animated is OK. Just don't post something that is in bad taste.

Of course. I understand. :)

snowbound

jiggyanne

Post by jiggyanne »

I think it's a great idea. I'm already to go for it!

Anne
[img:f40c48321a]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/singsnpaints/73061ecf.gif[/img:f40c48321a]

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I like it.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Good idea, I think it would be nice to put a face to the posts. Just hope it won't be too difficult to the like of me who is not technologically minded !! :roll:

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi good idea, but i'm like Betty, need to keep it simple

moonlight
sleep is not only a dream

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi all

I go to another forum for Tinnitus and they
have avatars great idea.

gill

:roll:

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

What a great idea. It is always nice to see who you are talking to. I would love to have it. I am definitely for it.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

OK, we have approved the use of Avatars and they are now active. The size limit for storing them on site here is 6.144mb, and the size limit is 80x80 pixels. This is very, very small.

The software that uploads the Avatars seems to have bugs in it so it's likely that it will be easier to use them if you store it remotely, like at a Photobucket site, and then link to it.

Please keep them tasteful and non offensive. Use your common sense, but some examples of offensive Avatars would be ones that make fun of religion or political figures. I don't expect problems with this crowd, you're a very considerate bunch of people, but we do reserve the right to take down offensive avatars.

If you have any technical issues that you need help with, please contact me, Susan, and I'll help you get it working.

Thanks for your input and patience! Enjoy.
Susan

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

ooops Susan, sorry

I'm not very good on the computer ,i tried to get pic for avatar from my own files by the time i had figered it out i had mucked it all up .........please can you deleate it all and i will try again ...the picture i'm using is very small so should be ok

thanks

moonlight :(

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

This seems to be the easiest way to load a personal picture as an avatar:

Get a free account at Photobucket.com. Upload the picture you want to use. Photobucket has resizing sofware right there on their site. Make sure the Avatar is no bigger than 80x80 pixels.

Click the link that says "direct linking". If you click the link for email or any of the other 3 linking options it will not work. So, click the link that says "direct linking." The link is then automatically copied.

Go into your profile and scroll down to the Avatars section. Paste the link into the line that says "linking from another site" or something to that effect.

Click "Submit" which is a few lines down. Check to make sure your picture is in your profile.

You can also, in theory, upload an avatar off your computer. I couldn't get that to work, and neither has anyone else to my knowledge.

As always, I'm available for help with this. If you'd like, just send me a link to your Photobucket picture and I will put it up for you.
Susan

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Susan

Here's me thinking i've done well actually managed to get an avatar but its too big and i dont know how to make it smaller,please could you help me out.

Thanks

moonlight :P

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

It's lovely, Moonlight! The size is fine as long as it's not hosted on this site. We have space limitations is all in the forum.

I'm happy to see so many of them. There are some bugs in the programming, just so you know. One person has put one up and had it disappear, and had to put it back up again. Just know that it's not us "messing' wit ya" and we won't take down your avatar unless it's really in bad taste, and then we would contact you about it.
Susan