RLS and Parkinsons?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
musiclover

RLS and Parkinsons?

Post by musiclover »

I'm wondering if there are any threads that discuss a possible relation between RLS and Parkinsons. Several of my family members have RLS while many of my husbands family have Parkinsons so I've observed the effects in many people. The symptons appear to be so similar it seems as though there has to be a connection of some kind. Any articles anyone has dug up that you can link for me? Or, if I missed a topc on the subject my apologies. Please point me there as well. Thank!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi musiclover - it has been discussed and you can probably find the threads by searching on Parkinson's.

The short answer? No connection. The same area of the brain is affected, however, and the same brain chemical - dopamine - is part of the problem. Hence, RLS is treated with PD drugs and both are movement disorders. People with RLS are not more prone to getting PD, though people with PD have a higher risk of developing RLS because of the lack of dopamine.

Hope that helps.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bmwflora

Post by bmwflora »

I was wondering about the same thing... I have multiple generations with RLS in my family and Parkinsons on my mother's side of the family... I have already started researching this, and have also seen that there doesn't appear to be a connection.. yet it is odd that the same part of the brain is affected, and some of the same treatments seem to work.
Wonder what the future will hold in terms of discovering more about any potential relationship between the two illnesses. If anyone has any specific links, other than the Parkinsons site, please let me know! Thanks!
Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous. Confucius

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm guessing that there won't be any connection found. But, that could be completely wrong. So far, all of the epidemiologic studies have shown no connection EXCEPT that those with PD are more likely to get RLS because they are lacking dopamine.

If you are interested in this type of stuff, I highly recommend two things: PubMed - you can read studies galore on RLS (and any other medical study) and, even better, the RLS Foundation's convention. It's coming up this November, I think the third weekend. Several people from here are going. I may, but haven't completely decided. I do love to go and hear about ALL the newest studies and research.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.