OMG I CAN NOT SLEEP!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
jessica5785

OMG I CAN NOT SLEEP!

Post by jessica5785 »

My RLS is really getting in my way. I am 13 and have to go to school ever morning but I can not sleep at all. Is there anything I can do? I never have time to go to the doctor because my family is too busy. RLS is really really common in my family. My father,grandmother,and grandfather have RLS, WHAT CAN I DO?! PLEASE HELP ME! :(
Why do i look tired? Blame the RLS...

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jessica, what do your family members do for their RLS? Do they have any info about it?

Check out the New to RLS "sticky" post on managing RLS - lots of good tips in there for you and your family. You can print off some of the stuff from the links.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jessica5785

well they just..

Post by jessica5785 »

they just put thier legs up on a pillow. tried it..but it never works. it just makes my rls worse :(

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Some people do get relief by sleeping in strange positions. For years, I could go to sleep if I laid in "just" the right way and as soon as it started. If I didn't fall asleep immediately, I was toast!

Check out the New to RLS sticky on managing RLS. You should find some great info in there. After you read it, post about any questions you have.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ddhafe

Post by ddhafe »

jessicia.......So sorry you have to deal with this at your age.
What I just found out that helps me is pressure and what I do is I bought a pair of support hose like they give you in the hospital or maybe a pair of support pantyhose would work too. I just bought a pair on ebay and got them within 3 days. I was really surprised they came so fast.

The title is "Anti-embolism Stockings Compression" or send me a message or email and I will give you the seller name and link. I have also taken TyenolPM and that seemed help me sleep and I wasn't tired in the morning. A few times I have had a cup of hot tea before bed and that seemed to relax me.

Hope you find some relief and soon. I know there is no way I could have handled this at you age with school.
Diann/ddhafe

brandy

!

Post by brandy »

You poor dear! I hear you saying that you are very busy. I can understand that because I am a lifelong RLSer (now 27) and I lived most of my life on very little sleep. I was very successful (in fact, voted Most Likely to Succeed) but I paid a great price with all of my stress and exhaustion. I would hate to see the same thing happen to you. Can you print some of the information you find and show it to your parents, telling them how important getting help is to you? Perhaps someone else can post links for Jessica on RLS and adolescents. If your parents can't take you do you have a friend or a friend's parent who would be willing to do it. It's so important to start taking care of yourself now, honey. Stay with us, keep us updated, ask us questions and we'll do what we can to help. If you are able to go to the doctor, you might start with a serum ferritin test that help determine if your particular problem is related to your iron. Hang in there, girl!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

jessica5785

yeah..ill try it all..

Post by jessica5785 »

thanks so much for you're concern's. I am trying to make my mom or grandma take me to the doctor to see what this is about. And no doubt that im not going to look into those things for the legs. I really need this especially now that my voice needs resting and the only way thats possible is if im sleeping. Cuz when im awake.. all i do is talk lol :)

becat

Post by becat »

HI Jessica,
Wow you've gotten some great welcomes already, haven't you. I'd like to add mine.
Welcome and yes, I've lived with RLS all my life. Yes, it does run in families and will not be the same symptoms for everyone. I think it's great that you've gone looking for the answers yourself. That is awesome.
Let's give you some help gettting Mom and Grandma to help you.
Jessica, just forgive me a moment for playing mommy here, OK? :?

1. Don't take any medication that your mom does not allow you to take. No offense meant, ddhafe, but TylenolPM is normally not a good choice for RLSers. They tend to have a benadryl (sp?) effect, which might make it worse.
2. It sounds like your a singer or maybe an actor.....you said you needed your voice. I understand that one, a precious thing to need and have. So lets work on MOM.
You may have to sit your mom down and tell her about your legs. Really tell her about not sleeping and ask for her time and her help getting you to a doctor.
Bring her here and let her read the sticky notes in this section, so that the two of you might be able to print off some information that you can take to your doctor. Any doctor willing to listen and work with you can treat RLS.
Look in the sticky thread for something called the RLS Algorthim. It's a guide to diagnosis and treatment. You could take that to your doctor, if he or she does not know much about RLS, this guide will tell them how to proceed. Also, ask for a cbc and ferritin (brain iron) check, it's all the same blood work, but the ferritin is important to know. You know your family has this, so you've taken the toughest question out. Yours is most likely genetic RLS.
3. You need to try all the non-medications tricks you can first. I know that sounds stupid, like you haven't already, but your body is not yet finished growing and some of the meds we all take might not be right for you.
Hot baths, a good bedtime routine, tons of ideas.
4. Your not going to like this one, but, right now your hormones are probably going nuts as well. This will not help the RLS and you may notice that it gets worse during that time of the month. :?
Your not alone and you and your mom can come here and get educated anytime. I am so proud of you for not just taking it, your doing something about it. Thats wonderful.
Your mom or grandma will help, but you have to let them know how serious this is. I'm glad a pillow works for them, but it doesn't for everyone, and they need to understand that we are all just slightly different.
If it helps, my mom has it too, but never knew how bad mine was until 4-5 years ago, I'm 42 now.........so you have great hope, if you sit them down and ask for help.
Please let us know if we can help, we'll listen, lend a shoulder, whatever you need.
Hugs and th emoon,
Lynne

jessica5785

thanks

Post by jessica5785 »

whoa..thats helpfull. and yes i do sing..and my voice really isnt doing well right now :(
well yea ive read about the time about the month and how it can cause ur rls to get worse. I will tell my mom to read all this asap she's just asleep atm. thansk so much lynne (if i spelled it right). i will get back to all of u asap - jessica

ctravel12

omg I cannot sleep

Post by ctravel12 »

Jessica, I am so sorry that you are going through this especially at such a young age. Lynne gave you some wonderful and sound advise. I hope all works out for you and you can get your mom/grandma to take you to the dr. If not, do you have an older sibling or aunt/uncle that can take you? Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time