ANYONE NEW PLEASE ANSWER

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ctravel12

anyone new please answer

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi debt_59. Welcome again. It is so true that we are here for one another. It sure makes it wonderful to know that we are not alone.

I am glad that you got your computer back on again.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. It is a wonderful, caring and supportive group.

I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas and will have a good 2007.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

wgea

Re: ANYONE NEW PLEASE ANSWER

Post by wgea »

becat wrote:Hey, I'm so glad to have so many guest the last couple of days. It means more people are getting educated.
BUT, it's killing me, what sparked this many people to come onto the board lately?
Tv, Radio, newspapers.......?
Can some of you newbies tell me what you heard or saw to spark this.
Glad to have you all.
Lynne /Becat

The commercial for restless legs got me curious. I did the web search and found the forum by accident. Personally, Im stunned that this problem seems to be as big as it is.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Studies vary, as do severity of symptoms, but approximately 10% of the US population has some form of RLS. That includes those of us with it during pregnancy, secondary to other diseases and conditions, and those who suffer once a year and all day and all night every day.

What boggles me is that it took this long for everyone to recognize such a common disorder. Truly, how could the medical establishment ignore 10% of the population for hundreds of years? Mostly, I suppose, because we don't literally die from it and most of us still manage to live out lives as well as we can. It makes it easy to ignore
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

catsup

Post by catsup »

i guess the forum was not nearly so busy prior to Requip and the increase in diagnosis.

in my case, the symptoms have been ocurring for a couple of years and i mistakenly assumed that they were diabetic neuropathy, and i thought i had to just live with it. it was a coincidence that i had my first severe bout last October and again this month. my doctor was quick to diagnose me with RLS. i also notice that when i mention my lack of sleep and RLS to other people some of them announce to me that they have it too. it's light a huge light bulb has been switched on.

i guess that for years RLS sufferers received other diagnoses and less effective treatment. ie. "this middle-aged woman must be nuts; i'll treat her with anti-depressants and sedatives." since the invention of the prozac family of drugs, there must have been an increase in the population of RLS symptoms too, so more people complained of the symptoms of RLS. could it be, in fact, that the wide spread use of SSRI's plays a significant role in today's increase in diagnosis? did my use of SSRI's for the past 10 yrs or so bring a potential in me for RLS? did they cause a wave of symptom increase in the general population? i guess there are many possibilities.

last night, after finally getting to sleep around 2:30 am, i actually slept for 6 hours straight! hooray! i continue with the Requip and have narcotics available should i need them.

Here's to everyone finding more and better sleep!!! Moll

Dianne

Hi! This is my first visit to this site!

Post by Dianne »

I have suffered with RLS since I was in my 20's. Maybe younger but I labeled myself with Restless Legs in my 20's. What brought me here was the TV commercials! Curiosity! I don't find my symptoms to be very troublesome. I find that when I don't get enough sleep due to excitement from holidays or special events that are comming up, will bring on RLS. I don't suffer with twitching, I get the uncontrolable urge to move the legs and almost have to constantly kick them to relive the symptoms some..... What really is the only thing I can do to stop the symptoms is lay on my stomach and go to sleep! I can't lay on my back or sides, that does not relieve the symptoms! It has to be my stomach! Once I can get on my stomach, I will fall instantly asleep! This makes long car and airplane trips miserable!!!! I know that not getting enough sleep will bring on RLS. In my 20's as a single girl going out late nights often is when I began noticing the symptoms.

Now that the TV has brought RLS out to the public, my husband who has seen me suffer for the last 20 years knows I'm not crazy!!!! I have to thank TV commercials for that! LOL :D

I've been meaning to tell my doctor about my RLS symptoms, but did not thiink it was something I needed to discuss. After reading about it and seeing that possibly other problems can be linked (diabetes and/or Circulation issues) My mother and brother are diabetic and I had Deep Vein Thrombosis from birth control pills when I was 18, perhaps my RLS is a pre cursur to other issues. So, discussing RLS with my doctor is something I will do when I see him on Jan 5th. I take Levoxil for my thyroid and hydrachlorathiazide for hypertension and I am currently on a clinical trial for high cholesterol taking niacin.

So, I look forward (if that's how you want to look at RLS) to learing more!

Dianne

wgea

Post by wgea »

I can remember having the symptoms of RLS as far back as high school (Im 41 now). I first went to a doctor about 10 years ago and I was told it was a pinched nerve and that I would just have to live with it. :roll:

jenben

Post by jenben »

I have had RLS for the past 11 years, but have just been formally diagnosed two years ago. I was directed to the RLS.org site by my PCP in December, 2006. I have to say it has been a relief to know that there are others out there are experiencing the same frustrating symptoms as me and can relate to what I am struggling with......unfortunately we are united through such a frustrating condition..... as I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I have learned from many of the posts on the sight and have gained invaluable insight from others' experiences with medication management, coping strategies, etc. I have found the discussion board to be a wealth of information and support. Thank you. I look forward to participating and learning more about my new friends with RLS. :)

ctravel12

anyone new please answer

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jenben and welcome. I am so glad that your PCP Referred you to the rls.org. It is a wonderful and supportive group and glad to have you on board.

I am sorry that you have rls, but glad that you found us.

Please anytime you just want to talk, vent or whatever we are here for you.

With you being new to the board, have you looked at the forum New to RLS"Managing RLS" It has alot of good information and well worth reading.

Keep on reading alot of the old and new posts. I know when I first joined I read the old and new posts and learned alot from them.

Again, welcome and hope to hear from you again.

Have a wonderful New Year
Charlene
Taking one day at a time