Severity of RLS/WED?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Oozz

Severity of RLS/WED?

Post by Oozz »

What is considered severe, mild, and acute RLS/WED?

I get RLS 6/7 night and would like to gauge my experiences with others to determine what may and may not work for me. Sometimes I will get it on a plane, but this has not happened recently.

Thanks,

Rustsmith

Re: Severity of RLS/WED?

Post by Rustsmith »

The best way to evaluate the severity of your RLS is the International RLS Study Group (IRLSSG) questionnaire. The questions are ones that your doctor should have already asked you. There is a rating scale based upon your score that appears on the bottom of the third page.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I consider myself to have severe RLS. My symptoms are 24/7 and I take medication 24/7 which does not always cover the symptoms. Any sedentary time has to be thought about in advance i.e. theater, movies, restaurant, air flights.

With my husband on my last 11 hour flight I was highly medicated, over and above my prescription levels, and managed very well. However, if I was travelling alone my confidence in taking that amount of medication would waiver in case I might fall asleep inappropriately or have some other reaction.

Rustsmith's reference to the RLS Study Group Questionnaire is the best way to go.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

While I qualify as severe, mine is not as bad as it was - it has been a very slow reversal after augmentation. I used to have it 24/7. Then it was about 18/7. After my third iron infusion, it seems to be about 16/7. Now, every day for more than 50% of the day is not fun, but it is better than the 24/7 when I slept 1-3 hours a day!. I average about 6-7 hours now, with the rare 1 hour night, the average 6-7 hours night and the occasional and precious 9-10 hour night.

My personal thought is that anyone who suffers 5 or more days a week, every week, and who cannot sleep because of it at least some of that time, can say their life is severely impacted.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Thanks for sharing. I took the questionnaire and it confirmed what I already knew.