Newbie!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ForJanetWithLove

Newbie!

Post by ForJanetWithLove »

Hi everyone, my name is Meagan and I'm new here. I don't have RLS but my best friend has it, and has had it for years. I've recently been devoting my free time to find ways to help her pain go away, or decrease, and to finding any information I can on RLS.

I've only recently begun dealing with her symtpoms of RLS and started to realize what she goes through because of it. I've been doing some research trying to find ways/tips on making the pain go away, atleast enough for her to get to sleep. We've tried damp cloths on her legs which seems to be working enough for her to fall asleep for 45 mins to an hour at a time. Does anyone else know of somethings that might work?

She's been taking Vicodin, Hydrocodone and was recently prescribed Methadone for her pain. She starts taking her Methadone tonight, with much apprehension. She's got a lot of allergies and is afraid she'll have problems with this. She's also scared of the side effects and has fears of getting addicted to it. Has anyone tried Methadone?

Well, it's nice to meet all of you and thanks for the help!
- Meagan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Meagan, I take methadone. Studies show that it can be taken for RLS with much lower risk of tolerance, dependence and addiction. If she only takes it at night, shouldn't be a problem. Some progressive doctors think that taking a 'drug holiday' from potentially problematice drugs can prevent problems. Doctor B from www. rlshelp.org uses Ultram as the holiday for methadone. 1 month on methadone, 1 week on Ultram, etc. I think.

Good luck in your searches for more info and help. Your friend is in good hands and lucky to have you help her.

Ann