Serum Ferritin

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Oozz

Serum Ferritin

Post by Oozz »

I got some blood work done about 6 months ago, at which time the doctor included some sort of iron tests.

I asked my doctor if one of them was a serum ferretin test and he answered yes, but seemed a bit unsure; he just stated, “I ordered 3 iron tests”. Is there anyway to determine if a serum ferritin was specifically ordered out of the 3 iron tests listed? I.e. would it be labeled something different?

Rustsmith

Re: Serum Ferritin

Post by Rustsmith »

You can only be sure by asking for the results and see them for yourself. Legally the results belong to you, so all you need to do is call the office and ask them to provide you with a copy of the test results. The staff at some doctor's offices may try to tell you that you don't need them, but it is yours so insist that they provide it. That will also let you find out what the exact number is.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Re: Serum Ferritin

Post by badnights »

You could try asking your doctor again. He/she might have been trying to dumb things down for you, and might respond with the actual substances measured and their concentrations if you insisted. But I wouldn't want to wait that long, and I would do as Steve suggests and call the doctor''s office and request the results - either a printed copy or someone to tell you over the phone.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.