Just joined

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
barbeegee

Re: Just joined

Post by barbeegee »

legsbestill wrote:Yes, but it seems he didn’t ask as a box-ticking exercise but gave it as a reason for withdrawing vital medication.

Agree

badnights

Post by badnights »

barbeegee wrote:I'm 74 and have had RLS all my life but it recently became unbearable. My family Doctor gave me Xanax for anxiety and I noticed it helped me to sleep through the RLS, even though it did show up on my sleep study. So then she allowed me 1/2 of the lowest mil of Xanax to help me sleep. It worked for 15 yrs. Now she's retired and I found a new doctor. She immediately refused me the small Xanax and put me on each of the strong meds whose names I've forgotten, but each one gave me 12 hrs of the worse nausea. So I can't take them, she's taken away my Xanax so...I'm on my own to try and beat this. It strikes me strange that she'd take me off the milder med to go on the strong drugs. I'm happy to be here, and hope we can both help each other. Right now I'm taking a glass of tonic water a day for muscle cramps and it seems to keep the RLS at a low and dealable level as long as I don't take aspirin, allergy meds or any over the counter meds because they spike the RLS to unbearable levels.

Xanax can be called a strong medication, and the WED/RLS medications you listed are not often thought of as "strong" outside of the RLS/WED community. What I don't understand is why she had to take you off something that was working. What harm did she see it doing if you continued on it?

You've said a few things that make me wonder what kind of WED/RLS you have, or if you have something else besides or instead. Muscle cramps are not a component of WED/RLS (although we often get them). I've never heard of acetominophen or aspirin triggering WED/RLS in anyone, but I suppose some other ingredient of a generic pill might cause a reaction. What do your symptoms feel like? When do they happen, as in what times of day are they best and worst? and as in when you sit or lie down, how long before the symptoms kick in? Do they force you to get up and walk around? Are you ever forced to get up and walk around by a symptoms that is not a cramp? And in that situtation, does the walking help relieve the non-cramp symptom?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

barbeegee

Post by barbeegee »

I couldn't even stretch in the a.m. or my leg or foot would cramp. Magnesium and tonic water help with that. I was diagnosed with RLS years ago from a sleep study. It's hard to describe RLS but I'll try. It feels ANTSY...I gotta kick, move and thrash around. I can't sit still.

I used to get it just at night, but now I get it whenever I sit, especially with my feet up. If I walk or move around, it disappears, but at my age I have to sit and relax some time.

People who don't have RLS sometimes get a sensation close to it when they are overtired and become restless...but it's not nearly as bad as RLS.

badnights

Post by badnights »

yup, that sounds pretty much like RLS/WED to me.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.