RLS since 11 yrs. old

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
lynnie59

RLS since 11 yrs. old

Post by lynnie59 »

Hi! I am new here and so very glad to see such an informative message board.

I have memories of RLS since I was about 11. I was babysitting at the time and remember walking around trying to alleviate the 'jumpiness' in my legs. Have had it off and on over the years, (am 46) but the last 5 years, it is every night. I was so relieved when I finally started seeing RLS mentioned in different articles....I always thought I was the ony one! Doc first put me on Clonazepam...it worked for a bit and then he had to up the dosage to 2 mg. and even that stopped working after awhile. I am now on Mirapex and it is a wonder drug for me. It has been about a year now and it is still working. Sometimes I take 1/2 a pill, some nights I have to take 2 pills. Anyone else on this med?? Do yo have to adjust your dosage?? Any info would be much appreciated!

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Hey Lynnie,

I followed pretty much the same path as you, had RLS as long as I can remember, finally diagnosed about 10 years ago and started on a benzodiazapine which worked for a while.

I've been on Mirapex over a year now, .125 mg, 1-2 hours before bed. It WAS a wonder drug for nearly a year, but the last several months it's started to lose it's effectiveness. I have not increased the dose, as I'm a bit worried about side effects, and in light of the recent news about increased compulsive behaviour, I'm leary.

Not sure what I'll do, but something will have to change soon. There's a ton of info here, search for Mirapex and you'll find many discussions about it. Best,

Heron

lynnie59

Post by lynnie59 »

Hi Heronak, and thanks for the response! I did increase my Mirapex, and don't find any compulsive behaviour. My Doc did warn me from the beginning about the gambling connection, but I just stay away from them anyway...I think I was compulsive before??? I really don't know what I would do if I didn't have my Mirapex. Not sleep I suppose!! Sometime I am up to two a night for a bit and then i will back off to half and go from there until I need an increase. Just a thought....it works for me!

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Lynnie,

I'm not worried about the gambling part, but compulsive shopping could be a problem! No, actually it's mainly the augmentation and general crappy feeling of having so many drugs on board that I dislike. We must always balance the side effects with the great results we can get from various meds.

I think I'll try upping the dose a bit when I've had a few bad nights, and back off as you've suggested. Hope you keep sleeping well,

Heron

lynnie59

Post by lynnie59 »

Thanks again Heron!

I saw your post on the general board and I have exactly the same thing with my arms. For sure it is a 2 tablet night if my arms start!

Yeah. shopping could be compulsive for me...I do have to stay away. Thank goodness my job keeps me out of town and very busy! I am a health care aide and go from home to home. No time for shopping. But when I do....I make up for lost time! But I was like this looong before Mirapex!