Drug Cocktails

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Tired-n-Alabama

Drug Cocktails

Post by Tired-n-Alabama »

I have been living with RLS w/PLMDs now for over 3 three years. I was just diagnosed a year and a half ago. Since then I have run the gammit on non-drug and drug therapy. I have a great Doctor who's wife has RLS and thankfully he understands what I am going through. I was put on Sinemet first, and had some unpleasent side effects along with significant augmentation. I then went to a combination of advil and ambien with strecthing to no avial, then finally the only thing that knocked it out. Tussionex, a hydrocodone cough syrup. This worked great, but after a few months I had to up the dose and was running out before the scrip was up so I would have to do without until I could get a refill. I got tired of being looked at like I was a drug head, as well as going without any treatment so I ask my GP if there were any other meds I could try. He put me on Tramadol/Flexeril/Naproxen combo, which I tried for a week and began getting bad stomach cramps, and not as good results as the tussionex. My wife took Naproxen and she said it gave her stomach cramps as well, so I stopped the Naproxen. I had read on this website, (which has been a God send to me) about people taking drug holidays from opiods by using tramodal. I had some tussionex left and tried using it until I ran out, then using the tramadol for a few days as a break and it WORKED! So far I have been able to maintain my tolerence level, and also worry less about addiction. Now I have to go back to my GP and request that he keep me on this combo, which I discovered by reading this wonderful website. I would like to thank all of you for sharing your trials on this board, and educating me about this awful problem. Take Care.