hey! My legs do that!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Reneeteach

hey! My legs do that!

Post by Reneeteach »

I was watching tv last night, and this commercial came on for this site. It started talking about all the symptoms of RLS and I told my husband, "Hey! My legs do that!" I don't remember when it started, but I know I haven't had these symptoms all my life. I always just brushed them off (I think I have a mild case). I figured I wasn't being active enough and that it was just my body telling me to get more excerise. Everytime I experience symptoms, I try stretching my legs. It eases the symptoms a bit, but they never really go away. I'm actually experiencing some symptoms right now, sitting in my chair at my computer.

Anyway, the point is, I'm new to this whole thing and I'm just trying to understand it. I wonder if it may answer why I constantly have to move while at work. Fortunately I'm a teacher, so I really need to be moving around the room all the time anyway.

I don't really have a question. I just wanted to take this time to introduce myself to the board. I can see from previous posts that there are some very supportive people here. Thanks for giving me somewhere to go as I feel this thing out.

Renee

Antsy

Me Too

Post by Antsy »

I'd like to introduce myself as well. 8)

I've been plagued by this disease since I
was a child - as were my mother and my
grandfather . . . and two of my sibllings.

Without a doubt this can thing can drive you
absolutely nuts in a very short time. Learning
that you are NOT the only one certainly helps
doesn't it?

Am I in the minorty in that I get this in both
my arms and legs? The arms are a new thing
which started about 5 years ago. When they
first hit I said to myself: "OK - I'm not living
like this."

However, I did live with it since the alternative
would have upset the family. :?

As you all have, I've walked around for hours
in the middle of the night, done deep knee bends,
tried the bath, etc (ad nauseum). I considered
taking a parachute on airplanes so I would be
ready to jump when it hit.

I considered myself lucky because valium -
if taken by 10PM - held the beast back most
of the time. I became so cocky that I stopped
taking it and had problems only ever now and
again BUT I was falling asleep at work and during
my 56 mile commute.

Duh - I didn't make the connection. Two weeks
ago I fell sound asleep at the wheel on CA 215
and drove right off the road. That woke me up in
more ways than one. I was thankful that I wasn't
hurt and, more importantly, that I didn't hurt anyone
else.

I saw my doctor and he put me in a sleep study
which reported that I had RLS. I knew THAT. . .
I'm in "Ground Hog Day". (I think it was more
for him than for me.)

The study also confirmed PLMD which my ex husband
said was a problem but which I wrote off to spite :P

After declining to go back on valium he prescribed
Ambian. So far it's working. If I get to sleep before
the legs start I'm OK. Hey - I'm having dreams again.
(So what if I was racing a semi up a boulder-filled
riverbed -it was a DREAM!!!)

I'm thrilled to be sleeping again and excited that I
have something to watch while I'm sleeping just
like the "RLS-less".

Yes, I know, it won't last but I can dream can't I?

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hello, Renee and Antsy, and welcome! :D

I wish NONE of us had RLS, but since we do, I'm glad to meet you. :wink:

Renee, I had JUST the reaction you did when you saw the commercial the first time I heard RLS mentioned. Some older ladies who are friends of mine on a cancer support group got to talking about it, and I said, "Hey, that sounds like my 'foot thing'!!!" They giggled a bit, but knew that what we were talking about was serious biz. They've both suffered for years; I had, too, but like many of us, just assumed "it was just me".... some personal "message" my body was trying to send. Mine's gotten more frequent and often worse since I first heard about it several years ago, but it DOES help to know what it is, in case down the road I need meds. (I currently live without taking any for my RLS, which is moderate but persistent.)

Antsy, interesting you mentioned getting to sleep before the Ambien takes effect. Although I don't have meds to "beat", I think that there IS an important lesson for at least some of the less-extreme sufferers in your experiences with that and mine. RLS is often worsened by fatigue (isn't THAT ironic!?!!!! :evil: ), so I find that keeping "regular" bedtime hours can be helpful. The later I stay up, the worse my RLS is likely to be, and the harder it is to get to sleep at all. Before I knew that there was a name for this, one of my best coping strategies was listening to my body, and realizing that for ME, RLS was a sign it was time for bed. I missed cuddling on the couch and watching movies with my hubby a number of times, but it was better than being miserable and/or not being able to get to sleep.

Our 13 year old son also has RLS, and even before we realized he had it, he's been very tuned-in to when his "body's" bedtime ought to be. I think it's saved him a lot of discomfort. Hope that strategy works a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time for him!

As for arms AND legs... quite a number of people here have that. A number of us also have RLS 24/7, though most often the symptomology mentions evenings and nights. I woke up with RLS this morning and still have it now, at noon. Not horrible, but it's about time to get up from sitting at the computer. :wink:

So, again, welcome. And Antsy, you be CAREFUL on the 215. I'm familiar with Apple Valley and the commute you probably take. NOT good to drive it sleepy.

Take care, everybody.
Sara :D

Karin

Post by Karin »

I just saw the commercial too. And of course the "Hey, thats my leg thing!" popped in my head. My husband used to think I was crazy when I told him my legs hurt. I would keep shaking them trying to go to sleep and it would drive him nuts. Now that I think about it I have been shaking my legs like that since I was a kid. My brother does too.

It is worse at bedtime and if I can't fall asleep in about 15 minutes it starts up. It usually takes me hours to fall asleep. I shake my legs, bang them on the bed, take walks up and down the hallway. I sometimes just end up in tears because I'm so tired. I think I eventually fall asleep from sheer exhaustion. I started noticing it in my arms a couple of years ago after my second child.

Recently I went on a trip with some girlfriends. I had to share a bed with someone (which I always tried to avoid). After a few minutes I unconsciencely started shaking my legs. I got a weird look and a "What are you doing?". It was kind of comical actually. Anyway I ended up on the couch.

Its so nice to know that other people know what I'm talking about. I was feeling kinda like a nut. It seems to be worse if I take Tylenol before bed. ( I also have problems with my knees and feet.) I can barely stand to sit through anything anymore. Sunday school and church service are horrible. I've actually had someone ask me to please be still.

Anyway nice to meet you all. Karin