RLS/leg/foot flexing

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Naq66

RLS/leg/foot flexing

Post by Naq66 »

Hi, I am new to this site also. What a relief to see so much of how I feel in other's post. I began with RSL when I was pregnant in my last trimester. That was age 30, I'm now 37. I too, have the need to move my legs, the crawling feeling, tingling/heavy feelings at night. I also get up and walk and stretch and take ibuprophen. It usually helps after the second or 3rd time. It began at first a flare up once or twice every few months....maybe even a couple of times a year. Now it is almost every week. If I am lucky I may go 2 weeks without one. But when it happens its several nights in a row. My most recent addition to this though is now when I am walking, my leg from the calf to my foot seems to automatically flex or stiffen while I am walking. All other symptoms occur at night or while I am at rest for a period of time. This is just something new that is concerning me and I am wondering if some of you have this also......how about dizziness or slight veritigo from time to time? Thanks for all the valuable info.

Dana

Re: RLS/leg/foot flexing

Post by Dana »

Naq66 wrote:Hi, I am new to this site also. What a relief to see so much of how I feel in other's post. I began with RSL when I was pregnant in my last trimester. That was age 30, I'm now 37. I too, have the need to move my legs, the crawling feeling, tingling/heavy feelings at night. I also get up and walk and stretch and take ibuprophen. It usually helps after the second or 3rd time. It began at first a flare up once or twice every few months....maybe even a couple of times a year. Now it is almost every week. If I am lucky I may go 2 weeks without one. But when it happens its several nights in a row. My most recent addition to this though is now when I am walking, my leg from the calf to my foot seems to automatically flex or stiffen while I am walking. All other symptoms occur at night or while I am at rest for a period of time. This is just something new that is concerning me and I am wondering if some of you have this also......how about dizziness or slight veritigo from time to time? Thanks for all the valuable info.

I must say that I almost didn't reply until I read the last post... I have NO idea if it is related, but every 4 - 6 months or so I go through periods of vertigo as I am laying down for bed, and this continues until about 10am or so, even after some wake-me-up coffee. After about 4 or 5 days, the vertigo goes away... not sure if this is helpful, but that happens to me to!

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I'm not sure if you are talking about leg cramps or just a stiffening. I have both. The leg cramps just started about 2 months ago, about the time my symptoms increased. If my legs aren't twitchy, they cramp. What fun! Lots of times while at rest (not sleeping, of course!) my legs will tighten up or just feel like they won't relax completely. That, in turn, makes for very tired legs the next day. Everyone of us has a variety of symptoms and some of us have symptoms that no one else has. I think that is one reason that RLS has not been taken seriously by the medical profession before. But there are enough of us that are finding each other, realizing that we are not alone and raising hell with the doctors that they HAVE to listen to us. Of course, finding a good doctor and the right methods of relief take awhile. I have also had slight vertigo at times, but mine is mostly from various meds. Yours could very well be because of lack of quality sleep. Keep a sleep/symptom diary for awhile. See if you can track problems back to a common cause; caffeine, certain foods, alcohol, stress, etc. There are so many good websites that offer suggestions for help other than with medicine. Instead of walking, especially if you are having trouble with stiff legs or camps, try a hobby or past-time that will absorb your attention. I paint or read a good book. Try headsets and books on tape. Sometimes all you can do is walk. Just know that we are here for you and know what you are going through. Keep us posted on your journey, we'll walk the road with you.

jumpyowl

Naq66

Post by jumpyowl »

Have you had your ferritin level checked in your blood? Have you tried magnesium as well as some other supplements? It appears that yours is mild enough to try the nonpharmaceutical approach first.

My experience was that once one starts to treat RLS with drugs the symptoms will begin to be more pronounced and better defined. Possibly more frequent and eventually start earlier in the day. :roll:

Some people say that will happen anyway with age. :wink:

Ruby is right, there are good people posting on this board! She ought to know, she is one of them!
Jumpy Owl

Post by Guest »

Thanks to you all. There is so much information here! I am starting the vitamins this week...esp. the iron and magnesium. As for the legs during the day. It happens when I am walking or at rest......it's like my foot and calf automatically flex or get stiff as I walk. Sometimes I feel as if I am walking with a stiff leg....this to has came and went away a couple of times. This is a new symptom to me also......all the other symptoms fall into place with everyone elses. I know this is related, it has to be. No injurys or anything different. Just more frequent bouts of RSL at night. Good day to all and thanks for the posts.