Does methodone make RLS worse?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Midnightmarathon

Does methodone make RLS worse?

Post by Midnightmarathon »

Hi once again,

I had an long awaited appointment at Columbia hospital in NY because I was hoping to find a provider closer to where I live to replace going 300 miles to John Hopkins for my methodone and I wanted to find a doctor who would be willing to let me go off to it for intervals (John Hopkins just keeps pushing more and more at me and doesn't want me to stop it). When I told that doctor (Dr. Wu) that I wasn't comfortable with a bigger dose he lterally said to me "take it or leave it"!

at Columbia I saw a Dr Westwood. He told me that they don't prescribe opiates (so I spent a fortune going to NYC for nothing) and his staff wouldn't tell me this over the phone!!! . He claims that they actually worsen the RLS. Is this true?? OMG!

I'm in shock right now because the RLS Foundation touts JH as one of the "Quality" care centers. Dr. Wu told me methadone was a "cure". Now I'm told it made me worse?

Who do I believe and why are doctors from top centers in such disagreement?

Highly discouraged in NJ

ViewsAskew

Re: Does methodone make RLS worse?

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have never heard that.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.