what a relief!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ladyjanegrey

what a relief!

Post by ladyjanegrey »

I've had restless legs for a very long time, though I always called it itchy bones. I thought it was something that everyone had, at least every once in a while, until I would talk to someone about it and they would look at me like my head was on upside down. So I quit talking about it. A couple of weeks ago, at work, an ad came over the radio saying something about restless legs,,,that caught me attention, for sure. Now, here I am, finding lots of people with it, and hoping to find something that can be done about it. I lay in bed, sometimes for hours, trying to relax, but my legs feel like they want to get up and run. I stretch, it helps, but the second I relax them again, they get a icky feeling again. I toss and turn like crazy. I've tried to fall asleep while stretching them,,that sure doesn't work. Finally, I usually just sit up till I can't keep my eyes closed anymore. By then, though, it's so close to the time I need to get up for the day, I end up losing yet another night's sleep. :roll:
I've tried sleep aids, over the counter and prescription, but when I take them, my legs get to where they just plain hurt if I don't really tense them up, which makes sleep completely impossible. I've never talked to my doctor about this, though my doctor has been working with me for my insomnia, but now I'm wondering if my legs are the cause. It's been going on so long that I think I've just accepted it as a part of my going to sleep routine. I sure don't wish this on anyone, but I'm seriously relieved that I'm not the only one :D

rls survivor

sleep

Post by rls survivor »

Hi, I've had RLS for several years now. I am in the process of working with a neurologist to treat the problem instead of just treating the symptoms. Anyway, I know what you mean about sleepless night after sleepless night, and no amount of sleep medication is going to help you. You may need a central nervous system deptressant - darvon, oxycodone, methadone - to calm your legs. These will stop the restless, the pain and cause drowsiness which will help you get a good nights sleep. A benzodiazepine may also be helpful - ativan, Klonopin, Valium - but I would try one or the other, not both at the same time. Benadryl, which is in most otc sleep medications will only excascerbate your problem. See your doctor asap to get the help you need! good luck.
rls survivor (also an RN)

kittykat

New to RLS

Post by kittykat »

Hi,
I'm new to the site too. I have RLS in my feet. I'm 59 and I've had it all my life. I just realized it was RLS a month ago. I allways called it my nervous spells. I just found out it can be in any part of your body. What a relief to know we're not alone. I used to take Ativan 10 years ago and it helped but I took some lately and it didn't help at all. I'm going to ask my DR about it on the 17th. I've got such a habit staying up at night with my feet that even when I feel ok I still can't sleep. What a life uh. Let us know if you find something that will help and I will too.
Good Night ( I hope)
kittykat