Do I have RLS?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
devinandrews

Do I have RLS?

Post by devinandrews »

Hello all... I was looking for a support group because I'm currently separated from my wife, and somehow ran across this thing I'd never heard of called "Restless Legs Syndrome". I'd never heard of such a thing, but it hit a familiar nerve.

I don't know if I have RLS or not, or perhaps I have a mild case. See, I don't really experience much pain at all. However, I do have a compulsion to move my legs constantly (particularly my lower legs) when sitting still, or especially when I go to bed. I also have noticed that when I'm feeling depressed or stressed, I do this as well. The only time I can think of when it's not an issue when I'm going to bed is when I've stayed up for so long that I'm ready to just collapse, and basically I fall asleep before anything can get started.

Again, I don't know if this is what you would call RLS or not, but I can tell you that I've had it for a long time, and it drives my wife nuts I'm sure when we're going to bed. I'm thinking it's possible that this also has contributed to some of the issues in my marriage. Due to my restlessness, I have taken to staying up until absurd hours of the night so I'm so tired that I don't have to worry about whether I will fall asleep or not, and I believe this to have caused a tremendous strain on my relationship with my wife.

If I don't have RLS, that's fine, but as others have said here, it certainly is a comfort to know that there may actually be a scientific reason for this compulsion instead of just being a "freak" or "cricket" as my wife has jokingly called me.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer...

Andrew

sardsy75

Re: Do I have RLS?

Post by sardsy75 »

devinandrews wrote:If I don't have RLS, that's fine, but as others have said here, it certainly is a comfort to know that there may actually be a scientific reason for this compulsion instead of just being a "freak" or "cricket" as my wife has jokingly called me.

Well Andrew ... you pretty much hit the nail on the head yourself with that sentence right there.

Ask yourself the following four questions:

1. Do you have an urge to move the legs, accompanied or caused by uncomfortable and unpleasant sensations in the legs? (Sometimes the urge to move is present without the unfomfortable sensations and sometimes in addition to the legs, the arms or other body parts are involved)

2. Does the urge to move or the unpleasant sensations begin or worsen during periods of rest or inactivity such as lying down or sitting?

3. Is the urge to move or unpleasant sensations partially or totally relieved by movements, such as walking or stretching?

4. Is the urge to move or unpleaseant sensations worse in the evening or at night than during the day.

If you read back through your initial post, you've pretty much answered all the questions already.

If you click on the link below ... about halfway down the page there is a topic called "Link to Algorithm for Management of RLS"

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94

This will give you an idea on where to start. If you are not already getting help from your doctor, now would be a good time to ask for it!

Take care of you!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi there and welcome!

One thing is, you don't have to have pain to have RLS. In my case, I do have pain. Last night was really bad. Feels like I ran up the staircase of the Empire State Building, but only in my right leg.

In my case, I have RLS/PLMD/Fibromyalgia. There is only one way to explain it. Evil cocktail.

My neuro said that RLS is not the best name for this. It affects more than just the legs. I have it in my hand and arm as well. My theory was that it affects the side that you favor the most. Like I'm right handed, and it's my right side that is affected.

Not much to that I know, but, when you are searching for answers and some way to explain it to the medical world, you try and grab on to anything.

Not feeling very happy today, due to my night.

Hope you all have a nice and peaceful rest of the weekend.

Love you
Penguin
Beware the Penguin