Coping with Augmented RLS and Bipolor

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
badnights

Re: Coping with Augmented RLS and Bipolor

Post by badnights »

David, I've been catching up here after an absence of a few days. Your posts here have been warming my heart.

Something I noticed in your earlier posts, about your sleep. You must know this from your reading here, but WED/RLS comes with a symptom that isn't talked about much (except on this board): insomnia. Or, hyper-alertness at the time of day when you should be sleeping. Many of us use a medication of some kind to sleep - a mild hypnotic (sleeping pill), or marijuana, or one of the alpha-2-delta ligands like gabapentin. It may be that something like that would help you.

Something about hope that you must keep in mind (and I'm sure you've heard it before), is that the future holds a zillion possibilities and you can focus on the worst ones or on the best ones. Neither outlook is realistic, but who cares? Pick the outlook that makes you happy - the good possibilities - and cultivate it carefully in your mind, nurture it.
I don't really see any relief in sight of my condition.
We never know what form the relief will take, because it hasn't happened yet. We don't know all the possible ways our problems could be solved. We don't even know the smallest fraction of ways. Just because you don't know how it's going to happen doesn't change the fact that it's about to happen, perhaps. Don't get hung up on how it will happen, rest assured that it will, and anticipate the time afterward when the problems have been solved.
(1)Doing mission work in poverty stricken areas. It is hard for me to feel sorry for myself while helping people that don't have enough to eat or have roofs over their heads. (2) Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). (3) Getting a puppy. (4) joining a Bible study group. (5) Starting a gratitude journal. I thank God for my afflictions because they keep me close to Him,
You're brilliant! 1 and 3 hit the same buttons, they get you outside of yourself. Actually, all your items do. Our own head is often the worst place to reside.

And then I read this:
I started asking for donations from fellow church members and others for $200 donations. Response has been good and I have helped two families financially to avoid extreme peril. My men's Bible study group have joined me to do some much needed repairs to the living units most if which are not livable. Then I got a gift from above: the men in my Bible study learned that I couldn't afford the Nicaragua mission trip so they took up a collection and are paying my way! Isn't God great?
I have to say it again - you're brilliant. Look how you found a way to help people even though you might be regarded as poor yourself; and you're helping yourself at the same time.

For sleep and depression, have you tried lifting weights? Not crazy body-building stuff, but some dumbell or kettlebell workouts, barbell even, or sandbag squats and stuff like that? I had no idea what I was signing up for when I started this stuff (I thought it was a different kind of gym) but I will be forever grateful that I did. I used to be mildly depressed every day with constant low-grade anxiety, and that went away when I started at the gym. I also changed my diet at the same time. I think both changes were factors in my mood improvement, but I know for sure the gym was because the anxiety comes back if I don't work out for 3 or 4 days.

Diet and how it affects our gut microbes and how they in turn affect our whole bodies is something you could look into if you have the energy.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.