New here: stopping Requip with Dilauded

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
abart

Re: New here: stopping Requip with Dilauded

Post by abart »

Hi Beth.
It's not. I checked my paperwork again and it is 18.
Is that bad?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

abart wrote:Hi Beth.
It's not. I checked my paperwork again and it is 18.
Is that bad?
18 is incredibly low for one of us. Beth will reply, too, I am sure. We need a minimum of 50, some say 100, and some of the Johns Hopkins docs say that can even be higher.

I personally need closer to 300. Mine was 16 or 18 the first time I checked it. The next time it was 8. Oral iron got me up to about 40, but didn't help. Iron infusions, though, have. I have had 3 or 4. And, due for another.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

abart

Post by abart »

It isn't a typo. It's right off the lab report. I read it to Dr B on Friday and he didn't seem concerned.
Maybe I'll ask for the infusion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Have you talked to him about that ferritin value yet? Maybe Dr B didn't notice that 18. It's low even for someone without WED/RLS, as Ann said. If you're not in danger of hemachromatosis, you would probably benefit from oral iron - one or even two pills of 325 mg ferrous sulfate or gluconate (with 60-65 mg elemental iron each pill). Take on an empty stomach if you can tolerate it, with a 500 mg pill of vitamin C or C-rich food or beverage. C helps absorption, which can be erratic.

Low serum ferritin is correlated with increased symptom severity (and with increased likelihood of augmentation). the Johns Hopkins doctors who pioneered the treatment of WED/RLS with iron infusions have said that some of us need ferritin even as high as 300; meaning, that's how high the iron-storage protein ferritin has to be in the blood before the brain gets enough iron.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.